The Devil's Initiative

Start from the beginning

"Oh believe me, I know all about Gohan's less than thoughtful nature," Videl immediately took to Chi-Chi's polite and coddling nature, sneering at Gohan over her shoulder, away from Chi-Chi's prying, onyx orbs, "especially when it comes to prioritizing over someone else's friends."

"Does that mean you're friends with Erasa?" Chi-Chi inquired.

"That's right," Videl turned away from Gohan, who sighed in relief. "Is she here?"

"No, she's currently out training. Do you want to join her?" Chi-Chi replied.

Videl flashed a sugary sweet smile, one that Gohan immediately knew was false, even if she did genuinely appreciate Chi-Chi's warm reception. "I will in a bit, but first I'll just put away my things-"

"There's no need to worry about that," Chi-Chi pointed in the direction of her room with a generous sweeping gesture, "you can always sleep with me and Erasa in my bed. We have plenty of room."

"I appreciate the offer, Mrs. Son. but," the younger girl pulled out a capsule case, revealing a yellow capsule," I've already brought my own futon to sleep on. I'll just sleep near your bed, if you don't mind that arrangement."

"Not at all," The mother smiled and nodded, giving the girl brief directions to her room, "take as much time as you need."

"Thank you for your hospitality, Mrs. Son," Videl gave another polite bow, and this time, she smiled with sincerity behind it, crisply walking past them, heading towards Chi-Chi's bedroom down the hall to unpack her own things.

When Chi-Chi was relatively sure Videl was out of ear shot, she turned to her son, and when she spoke, it was far too sweet, "Gohan~?"

With an intense feeling of dread, Gohan turned to Chi-Chi, giving her his full attention. "Y-Yes, Mom?"

Chi-Chi leaned in towards her son, lowering her voice to a sharp whisper, "Why are you juggling between two girls' hearts?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"Easy, mom! She's a friend," Gohan held up his hands defensively. Upon realizing he'd said the word friend, however a grimace crossed his face, "well, she's more like Erasa's friend whom we were trying to be distant from. She's been acting a bit...crazy at school."

"I don't want to hear it," The mother of two jabbed her finger at her eldest son, "a proper gentleman is to greet his guests with dignity and kindness. Excluding poor Videl was likely to make things worse, now wasn't it?"

Unwilling to start an argument, Gohan conceded to his mother's forceful demands with a simple, "Yes, Mom."

Elche Island, Elche Island Wilds

After Videl had finished unpacking, she, Gohan, and Goten met up outside the Son home, in the wilds of Elche Island. Gohan was beginning to experience a very vivid case of déjà vu; it hadn't been that long since 'flying class' was in session with him as the teacher. The only difference here was two things; the students, and Gohan's level of enthusiasm.

"While my teaching credentials aren't the best," Gohan began with some trepidation; Videl was staring daggers at him, and it hardly did well for the young man's attitude at the moment, "teaching the both of you to fly shouldn't be too hard. Goten, you were already making basic progress, so hang back for a moment, while Videl draws out her ki."

"Ki?" Videl flashed Gohan a look of stubborn confusion, masking Goten's groan of dissent. Videl didn't like to sound stupid; she'd heard of 'ki' before, if only vaguely. The term was well known in martial arts, but at the same time, her father, Mr. Satan, was becoming equally well known for trying to dismiss the existence of latent energy off as a hoax and a trick. The masses, crowding around her showboat father like sheep, took the bait hook, line, and sinker. As such, she hadn't put much stock into the term, and hadn't bothered any further research into it. "Isn't this ki thing just a trick; you know, explosions, mirrors, and whatnot?"