The Surprising Saiyan

The next morning after training, to Gohan's surprise, Erasa was active at the hour of the roosters, and to sate her eagerness, was quick to rise with her.

"I'm surprised," Gohan let a laugh escape his throat as Erasa dragged the turtle shell onto her back, reminiscent of a backpack. "After your training session yesterday, I'd have expected it to be necessary that I drag you out of bed with nothing less than full strength."

"Not a chance," Erasa replied energetically, performing a fist pump in the air, "They always say the first day is the hardest, but now that I've passed the gateway, I'm ready to handle the rest of it!"

"I'm glad you feel so confident, because, from this point on, you'll be continuing these exercises on your own," The Saiyan dropped this bombshell of information without warning.

"These exercises...solo?" Erasa queried slowly, as if trying to process what Gohan had said. He wasn't going to continue coaching her? For some reason, that bothered her. Was it insecurity? Or did she simply want Gohan to continue watching her as she strives to become stronger?

"I won't always be able to hold your hand for everything," Gohan replied firmly, handling the mannerisms of Piccolo without the harshness behind it. "I've laid the groundwork; now you need to walk the rest of this path on your own. As a martial artist, there will be times where you can only rely on your own quick wit and skill to get out of a situation; continuing these exercises without my hand guiding you will steel yourself for moments such at these."

These words hit hard with Erasa, who realised that Gohan was right; if she intended to become stronger, she would need to learn to handle herself, or climbing the proverbial ladder in strength would be a laughable feat.

"You're right, Gohan!" Erasa nodded in affirmation. "I'll do my best!"

Elche Island, Elche Island Wilds

"It's finally time to make good on that promise, Goten," Gohan and Goten had relocated to a secluded portion of Elche Island, an area that resembled Mount Paozu. For the Saiyan siblings, this would be a perfect area for them to train without disturbing the the main inhabitants of the island.

"You're really gonna let me train with you, Gohan!?" Goten exclaimed eagerly, nearly bouncing around in his excitement.

"Of course! A strong training partner like you will be the best way to sharpen my dulled skills," Gohan knew he wouldn't have any chance of facing his father, or even Vegeta now, if he didn't hastily begin training. As much as it pained that repressed, prideful side of himself to admit, he had become weaker in these times of peace — but the Saiyan side of him thirsted for the challenge that only fighting his father and Vegeta could bring.

"I'm ready, I'm ready!" Goten's excitement was only furthered at being called 'strong' by Gohan.

"Calm down, calm down," The older Saiyan sibling couldn't help but already begin to feel tired at Goten's seemingly limitless energy. Why couldn't he have inherited that from Goku as well. "We'll start with some light sparring; so tell me, Goten, do you know what kumite is?"

"Yeah, yeah!" The younger brother replied. "While you were always so busy doing homework, Mom used to teach me!"

"Mom...taught you?" Gohan blinked in surprise. With everything she put him through, she'd raised Goten in the exact opposite way Gohan himself had been raised. "She really has change a lot since Dad did, hasn't she?" Letting his own thoughts trail off, Gohan took a stance, motioning for Goten to do the same.

Within seconds, the two had vanished, crossing the distance that separated them and meeting in the center with a thunderous boom. The forearms of the two Saiyans met and struggled against each other like locked blades; as much as Gohan didn't want to admit it, the boy seemed even with him, even though this was all but a warm-up.