chapter twenty two

- please! don't! take! my! lyrics! without! MY! permission! thanks! -

Vanessa's point of view

"It's not right when you prefer a beautiful lie, but I guess that's why half this nation hasn't died." I sang softly, pressing down on various keys on my keyboard, headphones wrapped sround my neck so no one could hear it but me. "Cause baby death is a painful truth that I wouldn't want to live through without you."

"No god dammit." I said as I ran a hand through my hair. "Always. It always had to be about someone." I said but wrote the lyrics down regardless.

I didn't want a song about someone. All I can write is about someone. I can't write about something, or somewhere, just someone. You can't just have a bunch of songs about people, at least that's not what this band wants.

"How's it coming along?"

"It's... It's coming." I told Andy as she sat down in a chair, a cup of expresso in her hand and a box of donuts in front of her.

"Want one?" She asked, pushing the box towards me. "Normal glaze and chocolate." She told me and I shook my head.

"No, I'm good." I said and she nodded as she bit into one, tapping her pencil against her notebook. "I can't write like you and Keath. You guys write about places you've been, things you've done. Me and Cisco, we write about things we've felt with people, what we've done. I can't not put someone in a song."

"That's why it's me and you in here instead of me and Keath or you and Cisco. So we can combine it. We write differently but they're similar in a way we can combine it. Have you gotten anything?" She asked, setting the junk food down on the box lid.

I handed her my notebook and she looked through it. "You have lots." She said and I nodded.

"Yeah, it comes at the randomest times. Most of the time I don't finish the song, the lyric just sits there and rots." I said and she laughed.

"My patience towards everyone." She said and I rolled my eyes. "It's sits there and rots."

"Let me see your coffee."

"Don't drink it all." She said and I nodded as she handed it to me. I tool a drink of it and then set it down, the hot liquid burning my throat a bit.

"I have several things today, I need to either drink coffee nonstop or sleep an hour or two." I told her and she nodded.

"Same." She said and then perked up. "Want some rummy bears?" She asked me and I blinked a couple of time.

"What the hell are those?"

"You have vodka gummy bears, then rummy bears." She said and laughed. "Rum soaked gummies."

"Sign me the fuck up." I told her and she stood up. "I'm surprised I'm not an alcoholic by now. I haven't had anything but alcohol and coffee lately."

"Actually same." She said and handed me a bowl. I took a handful of them and then bit into one.

"Holy fuck, those are strong." I said and she nodded as she wrote inside if my notebook. "Got something?"

"No, you mispelled 'destiny' and 'blasphemy'." She told me and I flipped her off.

"Fuck off." I said and she laughed as she set my book down. "My brain is fried. Do we have to work on this so soon?"

"Boss said we do so we have an album ready to put out next summer." She told me and I groaned, eating an entire handful of rummy bears.

My face scrunched up at the strong taste and I gave her a thumbs up. "I need to be drunk for this, if not, high off of expresso." I said and she laughed as I wiped my hands on my jeans.