chapter twenty

Vanessa's point of view

"Vanessa?" Calum asked as I opened the door to our bedroom. I glanced at the clock, seeing 3:00AM in bright red lines. "Nessa?" He asked again, his voice deep and his accent prominent.

"Hmm?"

"Just making sure it was you." He said as he sat up. I sat on the bed and then took off my heels, setting them by the bed.

I turned the light on inside of our bathroom after I stood up and I could see Calum squinting his eyes. "You okay? You're stumbling." He told me as I held on to the counter.

He threw the blanket off of him and watched me cautiously, making sure I was alright. "I'm fine. Go back to bed." I told him as I grabbed a makeup wipe, taking off all of my makeup.

"I'm not tired anymore." He said as I threw the wipe away, unlacing my body suit so it would come off easier. "Where were you?" He asked me as I pinned my hair up in a messy ponytail.

"K-Kendall's house?" I said and furrowed my eyebrows. "No-No wait, I think it was Kim's? One of them. One of the Kardashians or Jenners." I said and he blinked a couple of time.

"Why... Why were you there?" He asked as I kicked my jeans into our room. I took my body suit off, leaving me in my underwear.

"I um..." I closed my eyes and held the sink as I racked my brain to remember. "She had a party." I said, tonight's events mashed up into a mess of neon lights, rave music, and blurry figures.

"Are you serious?" He asked as I quickly brushed my teeth, my head spinning. I was glad to get the taste of vomit out of my mouth.

When I finished, I turned the light off and then laid down in bed. "Are you drunk?" He asked me and I hummed as I cuddled a body pillow.

"Buzzed."

"Why does this feel like deja vu?" He asked and I shrugged as I yawned. "Why were you at the party? The kids and I were worried." He told me.

"Can we talk about this tomorrow?"

"Vanessa, we're not teenagers. We can't do this anymore. Dakota was crying because she wanted to stay up until you came home." He told me and I pulled the blanket over me. "Seriously Vanessa-"

"Calum it's late-"

"This isn't okay." He said and I groaned. "It's three in the morning and you're coming home drunk. That's not okay. You said you'd be home right after work."

"Well sorry I wanted to sit back and relax with my friends." I muttered and he gasped.

"Relax? You were partying. I know personally that partying isn't relaxing!" He yelled and I shushed him.

"The kids are sleeping!"

"Oh now you care!"

"You're being unreasonable. You do this all the time and when I do it once, I'm the bad guy." I said and threw the blanket off of me.

I went to the closet and grabbed a random shirt, careful not to trip because it's still dark. "Seriously? Are you trying to make this about me?" He asked and I shook my head, grabbing a pair of his boxers from the nightstand beside me.

"Let's talk about this when our kids aren't down the hall sleeping." I told him, grabbing a body pillow.

"Then we won't ever get to talk about it because you're so busy working!" He said and laughed. "Or maybe you're just partying all day! Who knows?"

"I'm not having this conversation with you right now." I said and walked towards the door. I hit something and I heard a thump.

"Owwie."