chapter twenty one

Vanessa's point of view

"I thought you were gonna be with Keath?" Calum asked me as he rolled his eyes, scrolling through something on his phone. "What? Decide that your family is more important than your bandmate?"

"Well I did come to apologize for fucking up but if all you're gonna do is be bitter and rude then I might as well shut my mouth and walk away." I said and set my phone down on the counter. "Wasn't that guy supposed to come by?"

"Thay guy is our wedding planner," he said and rolled his eyes. "He is over. Currently, he's using the restroom."

"Who pissed in your cereal?"

"No one! I'm just irritated at your lack of remembrance! It's like you don't even care!"

"I do care!" I told him. "Things have been hard and stressful for me lately, why can't you understand that?" I said and then closed my eyes as I took a deep breath. "Listen, we have company. I don't want to fight while he's here."

"Yeah yeah." He said and I grit my teeth. He watched as I made my way downstairs to our basement, not bothering to follow me as I heard a door upstairs close.

I went to the mini fridge and grabbed a bottle of beer, opening it with the side of the bar table since I couldn't bother with an actual bottle opener. I took a drink and then closed my eyes as I held on to the table, trying to calm myself down.

After a minute or two, I took one more drink and then set the bottle down, deciding to come back for it when the wedding planner left. I don't even remember his name, but it's no shock because I couldn't even remember my own song lyrics today.

I went back upstairs and saw Calum talking to the guy. "Hello, it's nice to meet you." I said and smiled when the guy glanced at me. "I'm Vanessa."

"I know Ms. Hemmings, my son is a fan anf I've been talking to Calum for awhile now." He said and I nodded. "I'm Larry. Me and your fiancée were just discussing where the venue would be."

"We wanted a venue by the ocean, as close as we can get because we've wanted this for forever." Calum told him and I could still feel the tension.

"That can be arranged. We can discuss the venue names and how exactly you want it decorated soon. Now, let's cover most of the basics before we get into detail with them." He said and we nodded.

-

"You were so fake while he was here."

"I'm only pissed at one person, why should I take it out on someone who doesn't deserve it?" I asked, finishing my beer.

"Ask Dakota."

"Can you stop bringing that up? Okay, I fucked up, but do you have to keep reminding me of it?" I asked and set the bottle down, nearly hard enough to shatter it. "I'm trying Calum. I can't handle all of this."

"I told you to say no to extra projects! You don't listen to me! It's your own fault you're this stressed!" He said and I rolled my eyes.

"It's not that easy-"

"Don't give me that bullshit." He said and I rolled my eyes. "I'm gonna go pick the kids up. If you don't clean your attitude up, we're not coming home."

"Then you better stay with Luke and Arzaylea because I'm pissed the fuck off." I told him, standing up and leaving him in the living room.

I kicked my heels off, careful since the actual heel part was glass, and then turned my phone on, going to my downloaded music. I pressed shuffle and the song When We Die by Bowling for Soup came on.