chapter thirteen

- filler chappie but I hope you like it anyways xx -

Vanessa's point of view

"I have a question mama," Dakota said and I hummed as I fixed the kids their breakfast. "How come my hair is really curly and the girls at school's hair isn't?"

"Because daddy has curly hair and so does mama." I said and she looked at me. "I just fix mine a lot."

"Can you fix mine?" She asked me and I looked up from the fruit I was chopping up. "I don't like it." She said as she pushed her dark hair out of her face.

"Your hair is beautiful just the way it is baby, why don't you like it?" I asked her as I continued chopping fruits up.

I sprinkled some into a bowl of yogurt and then handed it to her. I did the same to a plate of cut up pancakes and then handed it to Eli. "I just don't like it." She said and I stood up.

"Give me a real reason and I'll fix it like mama's." I said and then took the cutting board and knife. I poured syrup on Eli's food and then took the bottle with me to the kitchen.

I quickly washed the dishes and then put the syrup away before sitting down with them. "It looks different and it's weird." Dakota told me and looked at her.

"What if I wore my hair all curly like yours princess, would it still be weird?" I asked and she just shrugged. "I'll fix it today, fine, but tomorrow I'm not because it'll ruin your hair." I said and she nodded.

When she finished eating and Calum went downstairs, I took Dakota up to my room. "I really shouldn't do this princess but if you don't like your hair..." I trailed off, plugging my straighter in.

She played with her fingers and I brushed her hair out, putting a special cream in her hair so it doesn't burn too much from the heat. "Stay still." I told her and she nodded as I ran a brush through her thick hair.

It took me a little more than thirty minutes to straighten her hair fully, and by the time I finished, it was time for her to go to school. "Is that better?" I asked as I unplugged the appliance.

Dakota gave me a hug and I sighed as she thanked me. "Don't get it wet." I said and she nodded as she ran out of the room.

I looked at my own hair and shook my head, mentally cursing myself for not leaving it curly. Maybe then Dakota wouldn't be so self-conscious about hers.

"What the hell happened to your hair Koala?" Calum asked and I heard her giggle. "Mama did what? Vanessa!"

"Oh boy." I said and then went downstairs, grabbing some keys on the way out. "Hey Calum."

"You do know that straightening her hair at such a young age will kill it quicker, right?" He asked me and I nodded.

"It's a one time thing." I said and he nodded. "She said she doesn't like her curly hair and I said I'll only fix it today. Don't worry."

"Why doesn't she like it? Curly hair is wonderful."

"Until all your hair ties break because your hair is both thick and curly." I said and rolled my eyes. "Anyways, it's a one time thing. I'm gonna hide my straightener and just keep my hair natural or fix it like hers."I said and he kissed my head.

"You can do whatever you want with your hair, you'll still look beautiful." He said and I thanked him. "Want me to take the kids with you?"

"You can come with if you want." I said and he nodded. "Guys! It's time to go!" I yelled as I put my hair up into a messy bun.

We went to the garage, where the kids stood waiting for us, and then unlocked the car as Calum opened the garage door. "I hated school, I feel bad for you two." I said and Eli lauhged, agreeing with me.