Chapter 2

For nearly a month things had gone smooth for Rhys in his new position. Day by day he slowly came to understand Jack with his weird habits and mood wings. One thing that Rhys had picked up on was that Jack restrained his anger towards those who were an omega or seemed to be like one that was on any form of suppressor. Rhys still didn't understand why Jack was so nice too him, he would have thought he'd be a dick for how much he nagged on the alpha. But so far, that'd had only happened when Jack had gotten zero sleep and needed an incredible amount of coffee to truly wake up, Rhys could relate to that feeling. 

Over time, the same reoccurring question popped into Rhys' head, were they compatible? He remembered Jack asking him if he thought so. Then, at the time when first asked, he wasn't sure. His sense of smell was extraordinarily sensitive and he hadn't wanted to agree to anything that could have just been caused as a byproduct of his heat. Even if he hadn't met anyone that elicited such responses from him like Jack had before, he was cautious. 

Rhys knew he couldn't skirt around the issue forever, especially not when he was stuck in the office with Jack, surrounded by his scent all day. It was intoxicating and very distracting. Rhys would go home feeling light headed and spoiled, his clothes  sodden with Jack's scent. It would make him hesitant to shower, he didn't want to wash off the scent from his skin because with it condense around him, it made him feel like he was almost Jack's. Which, in a nut shell had been his fantasy for ages if he truly thought about. His crush that he'd harbored as an obsessed admirer only grew, while the obsession toned down.

Vaughn had commented on it once. He had said it was weird, he wasn't used to anyone else's scent on Rhys but his own since they lived together. Though now, Jack's scent seemed to be permeated into every outfit Rhys wore to work. Vaughn had asked jokingly, "What does he do, drape himself over you?" Which Rhys had blushed, shrugged his shoulders and dropped it.

Jack didn't necessarily drape himself over the omega but he was always near him. Be it their shoulders touching or a hand placed somewhere like his back or elbow, they were touching.

At first Jack had seemed as if he had tried to be as reserved as possible, keeping a respectable distance between them, hands mostly to himself. That lasted until Rhys had caught him staring at his ass, a lecherous gleam in his eyes that he quickly masked once he noticed Rhys looking at him. They'd laughed it off but Rhys had started to notice Jack's actions after that.

The alpha would stand closer to him than needed, he wouldn't give Rhys too much work, even if he asked for it, and often he'd touch Rhys somewhere he could subtly scent mark without much notice. Which in Jack's defense, Rhys had heard of alphas doing as such to keep those important to them safe. He would like to think of himself as important to Jack, he really would.

Rhys had nearly had a heart attack when he'd been changing one night to get into the shower, his wrist had past his face and he'd frozen, the scent gland along his wrist had the stained smell of Jack on him. He must not have smelt it before because he was used to being surrounded by Jack's scent, that was the only logical answer. Rhys had to wonder though, if he'd marked him consciously or if he had done it on accident. Maybe he hadn't done it before, maybe this was the first time, maybe he didn't mean to do it.

Who was Rhys kidding, it was Handsome Jack he was thinking about, of course he had scent marked other people, though probably just to keep people away for a night but still the same, none the less. But Rhys wanted to see more of it, would it happen again or no?

Rhys had waited til the next day to see if Jack would mark him again. The omega promptly regretted his idea of waiting and not just asking when they'd ended up avoiding each other most of the day, not because they wanted too but because Jack had business to do and had told Rhys to stay in the office while he went and took care of it. Rhys couldn't not obey him. It was mentally taxing. His omega mentality and heart couldn't take things like this. He just needed a clear answer and he wasn't getting it. Rhys had almost given up. "It had to have been an accident." He'd reasoned because he thought Jack would do it in the morning when they first saw each other but he hadn't. Rhys wanted to go home and curl up in a ball of blankets with a tub of ice cream and maybe have Jenny come over to help soothe him. She was a good comforter once she stopped being sappy.