15»Gone Boy

{MARK} woke up to vibration coming from a text notification. It was from Youngjae.

choiboi›› goodbye.

Mark stared at the text before screenshotting it and sending it to his group chat with Jaebum, Jackson, and Youngjae.

mark-2-1›› *image attached* what the hell is this?

hotwangz›› he sent that to me too, but when I asked what he meant, he read without answering.

mark-2-1›› should we be worried?

defsoullll›› wait what's happening?

mark-2-1›› did Youngjae text you?

defsoullll›› yeah....

oh... I'll check up on him.

Mark looked over the text from Youngjae one more time before getting up. He assured himself that nothing was wrong, Youngjae wouldn't just "leave" would he? Mark was sure that once Jaebum got there, he would see Youngjae in his room, still sleeping soundly.

He hoped.

"Guess what today is." His mother's cheerful voice sounded from behind him.

Mark let his worries slip away for a second as he turned to face her. "Your first day of your real job."

She giggled a little and pulled him into a hug. "We're going out tonight to celebrate."

Mark was happy for her. She was finally out of her bonds, and she had a job that she was actually proud of.

He continued to be happy until he got a text.

defsoullll›› he overdosed.

Mark's stomach sank. "Mom, can you drive me to Youngjae's?" His voice was shaking and he could feel tears rimming his eyes.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Her hands flew to her son's face.

"Please, I need to go. Now."

She didn't question him further, she grabbed the car keys and left out of the house, Mark in tow. It was only a 5 minute drive, but it felt like forever had passed by the time they'd pulled up.

"Please!" Jaebum's face was red as he argued with a paramedic.

"I'm sorry, only family members and relations 18+ plus are allowed to ride with the patient."

Mark looked at his hopefully mom. "You're 18+"

His mom looked at her watch. "Excuse me, I'm his godmother." She lied.

The paramedic looked at her skeptically before handing her a clipboard of papers and ushering her into the ambulance where a pale and unconscious Youngjae lay. He was a gone boy.

Jaebum's eyes were red and his voice was horse from yelling. "We're going to the hospital."

»»»

Jaebum was doing the most cliche thing ever and pacing around the waiting room, biting his thumb.

Jackson sat in the chair by Mark, his head resting in the boy's shoulder as he tapped his finger on his thigh in a nervous twitch. His mother had left a bit after they got to the hospital, after calling Youngjae's parents and conforming that it was okay for her to leave for her first day on the job. That day was supposed to be happy.

"Mark!" He whipped his head around to see India bounding over to him. She took her black Adidas cap off of her head and placed it on his before kissing both of his cheeks. "Is he okay?" She gestured to Jaebum.

Mark nodded, a couple of his worries melted away at the sight of her. "He's just worried, Youngjae is fine... So we're told. How did you know what happened?"

"Jackson called and told me."

Mark hummed in response and let her hold him.

Later on that day, after Youngjae's parents had gotten the news and left their trip to see their son, Mark was worried about his friend and was taken over by sadness, the girl sat in his lap and straddled him, smiling softly at him while consoling him.

She kissed every inch of his face softly, starting from his jaw and all up until his eyelids.

"Things will get better if you believe baby boy."

And he believed her. Her believed whatever she said was the truth and nothing but the truth just purely by the way that she seemed to mean it.

Mark liked her optimistic personality.