Chapter Three: Shivers

She was small, but she could fight, and fought me every step of the way, hand clamped right over her mouth to stop her from screaming. The struggle made us slow, and every second counted. Even now, it could be too late, but I had to at least try to get us out of there.

Her voice was twisted with outrage, but her horror was the loudest as I used my body to pin hers to the kitchen table to hold her so I could free a hand without losing my grip on the struggling girl.

I felt the scream build in her, a sharp intake of breath, but I cut it off, slid the knife against the porcelain skin of her throat.

"Move," I grunted, my hand fisted in her long hair to expose her throat. "I don't wanna hurt you."

She obliged, let me pull her upright again and guide her out of the house, terror forcing a sob from her as she stumbled a step.

I released her hair, caught her before she fell, and gave her a hard push in the direction of my car.

"Please-"

"Shut up," I cut her off, my own voice a loud hiss to her pleading tone. "Just move."

With cold steel pressed into her back, we reached the car at last, parked where I'd left it earlier, still warm despite the night, the ice filled winds that howled around us and the freezing rain that was more like shards of glass against our skin.

In a final attempt at escape, she struggled as I shoved her into the car, shit the passenger side and went around the the drivers.

She was waiting, watching wide eyed and teary, but I hardly spared her a glance. The mind could be a powerful thing, and mine was working over time.

Anywhere I looked, shadows would manipulate themselves into something else.

Anyone looking for us couldn't have lost us in the darkness and the rain, the headlights flooded the empty street in a glowing explosion, and the engine fires just a loud, giving us away to anyone crazy enough to be standing out in the storm.

The corner of Bonnie's street came up fast, and she gasped as the the tyres shrieked, the revs climbing higher as I pushed us past the speed limit in the slick road.

The freeway wound round a bend, but straightened out after a few hundred meters, and I was able to risk a look at the terrified girl cowering away, crammed against the passenger door, as far from me as she could get.

She was how I remembered her from the photos, alarmingly beautiful beyond anything that should be real, with a knowing fear haunting her golden eyes.

Those eyes were boring into me, now, still huge and still scared. One hand was braced against the dash to stop herself being flung around.

She tore her eyes away from me, threw a desperate glance to the side, out the window, like she was trying to work out the chances of survival if she threw herself out.

At the speed we were going, neither of us were stupid enough to think it was likely.

"Where are we going?" She demanded, a hitch making her voice catch.

The car lurched, and I wrenched the wheel sideways to stop us slipping on the wet road.

Bonnie cried out as I corrected us, then turned back.

"Slow down!" She was darting glances between me and the road ahead of us, the slick black a giveaway of how dangerous the roads were tonight.

Drawing a deep breath, I willed my mind to slow down, the adrenaline coursing through me to ebb away, and made myself think, maybe for the first time that night.