Chapter 6

I woke up to crying. At first I was p’d off that someone interrupted my sleep then I was curious. After all boys don’t normally cry.

I followed the incessant noise down the hall to a room I thought was unoccupied. I pushed open the door and walked in on Zoe.

“Oh.” I said surprised. “I forgot about you.”

“Gee thanks.” She said sarcastically, wiping her nose.

“What happened?”

“I’m just missing home I guess.” She said with a humorless laugh.

“Don’t worry, soon you will see that killing people is much better than living an ordinary life in a nice house.” I joked making her erupt in another round of sobs.

“It’s just I miss my house, my life, my mom calling me and yelling at me to settle down and make her grandchildren, and most importantly I miss my sheets! They were so soft and those are so scratchy.”

“You know what I do when I’m having a hard time?” I said softly putting my hand on her shoulder.

“What?” She asked drying her tears

“I suck it up and deal with it.” I said in my normal voice and she cried more and clinged to me desperately.

“Um…” I said awkwardly patting her back. “I’m not good at this whole comforting thing. I live with guys so it’s not a mandatory skill in this household.”

“Why meeeeee!!!” She sobbed making me loose my patience.

“Shut the heck up! You’re annoying the spit out of me!” She dried up right away. “I was brought here when I was four! FOUR!!! And you don’t see me complaining do you?” She shook her head. “I’ve tried to be nice but I can only go so far! We will feed you, clothe you, and train you. That’s all you’ll ever need so be grateful!”

“Ok.” She whispered calmly before hugging me. I froze up. Normally when I yelled at someone they didn’t hug me afterward. Come to think of it I’d never actually had a hug from someone.

After a moment she pulled away and smiled. “Thanks. You made me feel better.” I raised an eyebrow at her but her smile just widened.

“I’m going to bed” I said not even attempting to figure her out.

“Wait!” I turned back toward her. “Can you tuck me in?” She asked shyly.

I was too tired to remind her that she was the older one. So after I tucked her in I walked out zombie tired and jumped onto my bed, falling asleep before I hit the scratchy bed sheets.

“Sweet dreams!” I vaguely heard Zoe calling through the intercom. Before I got the chance to open my eyes and roll them dramatically my mind turned black and I got sucked into a blissful dream. The dream oddly enough was more of a memory, one that I couldn’t remember the next day, which made me cranky.

“Morning.” Todd greeted.

“Whatever.” I mumbled shoving the rest of the poptart in my mouth.

“Ooh is someone grumpy?” He teased.

I rolled my eyes. “Back off Toddison.”

“That’s not my name!” He exclaimed. “Nikita.” He finished with a smirk. I smirked back pretending it didn’t bother me.

“That’s my name.” I confirmed lightly punching him in the arm.

“Ouch.” He said rubbing his arm.

“Baby.” I said rolling my eyes.

“I don’t mind that nickname.” He said waggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Right as I was about to flip him again Zoe came into the room. “Ready for training?” She chirped before biting into an apple.

“Yeah, yeah whatever.” I mumbled before turning back to Todd. “You got lucky this time Toddison. Next time you will be flipped.” I said getting all up in his grill.

“Can’t wait.” He smirked and I flipped him.

“Hey!” He yelled getting up off the floor. “I didn’t even flirt!”

“Come on.” Zoe reminded me.

I flipped him again before following her out of the room. I sighed, I really didn’t know what to expect with that emotional girl. Then I found myself wondering if all girls were as bipolar as Zoe was the previous night.

If they were then I was very thankful I was like a boy.