Chapter 9

This one was hard to write, due to the bullying and bits of violence. But, I guess that's because I had to draw on my personal experiences with bullies and transphobic people. So, yes...here we go.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Oh sweet mother of God,I'm going to die.

I saw him coming, from me seat facing the glass walls of the library, the hideous blue and yellow football jersey was a symbol of impending doom. Turns out, my library wasn't so safe after all. But, what really threw me was the fact that he was staring at Wendy like a terrified parent, almost like she was about to get flattened by a massive semi.

Him, being one of the football team's star players, but not THE star. Troy McNab. Maybe that's why he was so angry, either that, or he was still pissed about not moving up from Neanderthal on the evolutionary scale.  Guy's gotta learn to let some things go.

Now, being on the football team should paint you a pretty clear picture of this guy's looks and build. Since I was tiny, it really wasn't easier to be bigger than I was, but this had to be overkill.  Troy was a towering brick shit house, 6'4 with enough muscles to make the juice heads at the Jersey shore jealous. His hands were massive and harry in a way that made me worried about other areas of his body, and just he kept the forest under control. Miniature lawn mower, perhaps?

Wendy didn't have time to ask me why I looked like death, she was just turning around when he reached the table, thudding into my chair, gripping my shoulder and pulling me onto my feet. Troy slammed me against the bookcase harder than he really needed to, lifting me off run. But I couldn't move. Playing dead was the best defense I had, besides, I didn't want Wendy to see me tuck tail like some little sissy boy.

 "Listen, you little freak, listen good. You stay away from my sister, or I'll beat your ass so bad that not even your parents are going to recognize your body," flecks of spit and bad breath almost cut off my brain from my body. but, not before I could hear the word that broke all of my efforts to show no fear,

"Sister?!" I stared at Troy, honestly confused. I had no idea he had any siblings, let alone a female one. She must be a fucking beast. Moustache, uni brow...

"Troy! Troy, put him down! We were just talking, leave Eli alone!" Wendy glared fireballs at Troy, her voice low and serious. She meant business. Troy dropped me, but only out of shock, he turned is fury on to Wendy, looking at her like she belonged on a funny farm.

He's gonna eat her, then have her committed.

"Him?! HIM! Wendy, are you stupid, that...thing, it's a chick. Her name is Stephanie and she's a total freak. I don't want you talking to her." Troy loomed over Wendy, trying to separate us with his huge body, but Wendy ducked under his arm and pulled me to my feet.

"He's a boy, you ass. I'll hang out with whomever I please. Eli is a really nice guy and a great friend and I don't care what you, or anyone else says. Grow up,  Troy,"  Wendy, armed with both our bags, dragged me out of the library, ignoring IT's roars of fury. Chick had balls....you know what I mean.

 We were out in the hall when Wendy handed me back my things, a look of worry mixed with pissy. Interesting expression. 

"Eli, you okay? I'm sorry about my brother. He can be...something. Are you hurt?" Wendy looked at me with her big, caring brown eyes, wild red hair. I didn't see it. How could Wendy, sweet, understanding Wendy, be related to the beast? Adoption, half-siblings, alien parentage, anything. It just didn't add up...

"You're brother! THAT...thing...is your brother?!" My voice squeaked, much to my horror, but I still couldn't wrap my brain around this.

"Yeah...sadly. We're nothing alike, though. I promise. I won't throw you around like that," a teasing light colored her voice, her eyes shinning at her joke.

I rolled my eyes, smirking, "I'm sure you could if you wanted to, but yeah, I've had enough cuddling time with walls and lockers to last a lifetime. But, really? You're related to him?"

"Mhm, same parents and everything. But, like I said, we aren't anything alike." Wendy hooked her elbow though mine, old fashioned, like the women in Jane Austen movies. "Now, sir, might you be so kind to escort me to class?"

I gripped her elbow firmly, taking her bag from her free hand, starting down the hallway, head held high, confidence is classy, yo.

"Well, of course, Ms. McNab. It would be my pleasure. By the way, siblings only share about 50% of their DNA."

Wendy laughed, blinding me with a dazzling smile, "Why am I not surprised that you know that, Eli?" We strolled down the hall, arm in arm, the memory of my encounter with the beast already forgotten. Well, for Wendy it was. I knew it there would be many, many more to come.

Where was mace when you needed it, or a bodyguard with Mufasa's voice?