Genus Part 8

It was clear he didn't believe me. He still looked as skeptical as the first time I mentioned it, except this time he looked a lot more concerned. 

He tried to write it off and pretend like he was interested in what I was asking, or even heard what I said.

"Uh. I don't know what you're talking about. What did you say again?"

I chugged the rest of the drink and slammed it down back on the bar. I apparently slammed it way too hard because it cracked and broke in my hands. I tried to resist looking at my hand, but had to open it anyway to assess the damage. 

Fuck. What is wrong with this dude? 

Pete was clearly disgusted and looked away with his hands in front of this eyes to not see the damage I had done to my self.  

My hand was shaking furiously while some shards of glass were embedded in my palm. Blood was getting everywhere.

I bit my lip hard and desperately grabbed for napkins. 

I took a short, stilted breath and tried to continue on with my conversation.

"Listen man, do you want your landlord to keep being a prick for the rest of your life, or are you going to stand up and do something about it?"

Now annoyed, Pete responded quickly and pointedly.

"Well what the hell do you want me to do about it man? There are assholes everywhere in the world and he is just one of them, ya know?"

"Yeah. I got that."

I was short with Pete only because I was in so much pain. 

"JULES?"

I shrieked. Desperately trying to get her attention.

"Could I get a pain killer and some paper towels please?"

Knowing she'd ask why, I held up my hands to show her the blood. 

"Oh shit! Give me just a second."

As I waited on her response, I focused my attention on Pete.

"Listen man, are you really okay with him being a total dick to you and you not doing anything about it? What kind of shit is that?"

Pete gave me the biggest eye roll i've ever seen.

"Listen. You can talk all you want to, but I have no recourse. My rights as a tenant are really limited. He holds the lease, he holds the power."

I fixated on his "rights as a tenant" sentence.

"Uh. I'm pretty sure that you are entirely wrong here. But regardless, i'm not talking about your rights, i'm talking about the principal of him being a dick and you doing nothing about it. I'm talking to you as a man, not as a citizen with rights and all that shit."

Jules finally got here with paper towels, her bar's first aid kit, and some painkillers.

"Fuck man are you okay? Do you want some help with this?"

"No... I'm cool, I can take care of this. Thanks though."

"Alright, well next drink is on me, and how about I bring it to you in a plastic cup?"

I couldn't help but chuckle.

"That'll be nice. Thanks."

She waited patiently while I dressed me wound. On the other hand, Pete was anything but patient, I could see and hear how upset he was. 

Phil needs to mind his own fucking business, there is nothing he could do for me that I couldn't do for myself.  I'll go back home and double check my lease and see if there is anything that explicitly details neglect from the landlords part. I'll check it out and i'l go from there.

I finished up and smiled back at Jules. Making sure everything was cleaned up and I got up to take out the trash and broken lass to make sure she didn't have to touch anything.

"Thanks Jules!"

"No problem. I'm getting you a beer right now."

As I walked back to the trash can, I noticed my beer was already there, and Pete looked like he was at his boiling point.

"You're being immature. I don't even want to hear about it anymore. I'm not going to give you Keith's info. This is absurd.  We aren't in the third grade anymore. We are men and we deal with obstacles responsibly and with maturity... This is not how we..."

Before he could finish that dumb thought, I cut him off.

"Fuck that. Let's kick his ass. Where is this son of a bitch?"

"You're unbelievable. You are a petulant ridiculous person."

I exploded back at him with that response.

"I'm unbelievable? Who of us here actively listens to KMFDM?"

I took a pause and thought about it for a second.

"Hey. I'm sorry about that. That was uncalled for. I'm upset at your landlord, not you.  Sorry man. But regardless where the fuck is he? Let me talk to him. What's his name again? Kevin?"

Pete looked like I knocked the wind out of him. 

"It's Keith." 

He sighed, then continued. 

"That's, that's okay, I accept you're apology. But, are you sure you want to do this? You don't exactly look like you're in fighting shape, and this guy is built. Listen man, i'll just look into my lease and see if I have any legal course I can take with him"

"That's all well and good, but lawyers are expensive and I'm offering myself to do this for free. You don't know what i'm capable of Pete. Trust me."

Pete shrugged, and accepted my response.

"Well, it's 4:45 on Monday. He always goes to the gym and gets out at 6:30."

"Perfect!  Do you know what gym he goes to?"

This was great! I could get him right outside of his gym and not have Pete associated with this at all.

Pete immediately killed my excitement.

"Yeah. He goes to Gold's Gym,  if you want to take him on have fun with that. You think you can just kick his ass in a random parking lot? Well good fucking luck. He always goes with a lot of people and he is huge... like, Sigma from Mega Man X  in his final form huge. But, you know; real. "

I could tell he was worried about me and my well being. It was sweet.

"Alright, well, what the hell kind of car does he drive?"

I really should have seen this coming, given everything else I knew about this guy.

"He drives a dark blue for truck. You can't miss it, it has a bunch of shitty protein shake and crossfit bumper stickers on it."

"Alright. Well, let's see what I can do."