Class part 11

After the rest of quiet and awkward car ride, we finally got to the Hotel Telluride. It was a slightly foreboding place. It reeked of old school class; which I had none of, and the sheer amount of wood (or faux wood), would have been a termite's wet dream.

There is an extremely small part of me that wondered about what it would have been like to scale up Larson & Son into a commercial business. For the most part, we dealt with residential and some public places, but the scale of a place like this would have been an amazing addition to the portfolio of clients.

I said this was a part of me; didn't I? The other part of me thought what the hell was I thinking? And did I just seriously think about the world portfolio in a business sense? I must have had a knee-jerk reacion of my disgust, because Brad immeadiately checked in on me.

"Everything okay man? I know it was kind of a brutal ride up here, but do you smell something weird or something? Are you alright? Do you not like this place?"

I was a little dumbfounded by his response, but then I finally mustered up a response.

"Yeah. Yeah. Everything is good Brad, I just had a weird thought. There's nothing wrong with anything here; it's gorgeous."

My gut reaction was to say; Wow, we are really staying here? But I have learned time and time again, that my gut reaction is normally wrong. Instead of being completely awestruck, which would have been easy to do, I opted to have an above it all type of approach. Unfortunately, this was the same approach as the rest of the Whitlock's. They were so far up their own asses, that they barely acknowledged me at all.

Jean's thoughts throughout the lobby were completely overwhelming, and devistatingly petty.

Sam better have got the room with the view that I love. I wonder if they still have the same staff that helped me with my clothes up to the room as last time? It looks like they FINALLY got over all the remodeling they were doing. What a shame, it looks more drab and dark then before. It looks like a failed rustic appearance as opposed to a warm and inviting one. If only they took my suggestions on the last comment card I wrote, they really could have done something with this place. Then again, if Sam ever let me finish my degree in interior design I would have been a completely different woman. But no, he insists that I don't need to worry about things like that. But dammit, I could have been something! I always had an eye for these things.

They continued on, but I didn't have the patience to listen in on all of her repressed dreams and hopes. It's sort of sad, but then again, I thought about the comment card. Who the hell would actually write interior design recommendations on a comment card left in the room? Better yet, who the hell would take that seriously?

The rest of the Whitlock's were dragging themselves through the lobby, while Sam begrudgingly waited in line to check in.
These check ins get worse and worse every year, maybe this place has finally become too big for it's scope. Oh well. Adam keeps saying it's a great resource to find new, and gullible talent so, I guess we'll keep coming here.

Gullible talent? What the hell did he mean? Is he an ambulance chaser type of entertainment lawyer? Does such a thing even exist?

Brad was in his own world as well, only thinking about himself, as I was starting to notice more and more.

So if James Franco is here, maybe Dave can't be too far away? I wonder if he remembers me? He must, right? We went to a couple after parties and got completely fucked up. He was out of his mind at a certain point in the night, but he has to remember me.

I noticed a nod from Linds, directed at me, I walked over to her.

"Hey uh, Phil, was it? Do you mind if you watch my bags while I head to the bathroom?"

I didn't necessarily expect a riveting conversation from her, so I accepted her offer.

"Okay, sure could you do the same for me when you get back?"

"Yeah, totally."

She pushed her stuff up against the wall closest to me and started to walk away. Something was different with her. Either I couldn't get a read on her thoughts, or, she legitimately was not having them. She was the typical non-commital type of girl that I've seen in dozens of places before; but something was, well, off with her.

Like Brad, I was in my own head as well. I was thinking about all of the screenings I could watch, and what types of questions I should ask in the Q&A.

Should I just play it by ear? Or should I come in prepared and ask something about the ongoing themes and leitmotif's in their work? Well, I probably can only ask those kind of questions if those type of things continue to present themsevles in their new films. They probably don't want to talk about their old work. Maybe their will be surprise guest like Brad was talking about, which would open the door to ask old, lingering questions I still have on their works. Hold on, would I even have the opportunity to ask these questions, or is it all pre-arranged, pre-screened and do they only allow people with sufficient press credentials to ask them?

Before long, I was too wrapped up in my own mind to notice Linds coming back from the bathroom and her standing right next to me. She tapped my shoulder and I shook in fear not expecting her. She laughed this off and gave me a coy smile.

"You okay there? I didn't mean to scare you, sorry. What were you thinking about?"

I attempted to laugh it off as well and tried to play it cool.

"I was just daydreaming." I paused, and then elaborated.
"This is my first time coming to one of these things, and I have a lot I want to see and do. I'm here with some of my heroes, and I would love to have any and every interaction with them I can, but I don't exactly know how to handle myself around someone I envy so much without losing my shit."

I paused and asked thought I would attempt to learn from her experience.

"How have you managed it?"

She put about a half second of thought into it before she answered. I think she was intentionally trying to play up her naivete and cuteness. When she did think about it, Linds tapped her finger on her chin and looked up.

Is she one of those girls that sells her self short intentionally to appear more cutesy? People like that are the worst.

"Well, I would treat them like you would treat anyone else. In my experience, they don't like being put up on pedestals all the time. Talk to them calmly and casually. It's completely fine to ask them questions as well. But, if and when you do, don't lead them with any overly mushy I LOVE YOUR WORK, or OH MY GOD YOUR AMAZING! Keep your cool and treat them like you would want to be treated you know?"

Her candid response took me completely by surprise. She clearly did put a lot of thought into this, and was well composed during the entire time. Maybe i've misjudged her? I didn't think to look past her obviously Coachella-fueled style choices and I should have done exactly what she said. I should have treated her like anyone else.

I should approach everyone going forward exactly like that too. Part of this trip was me changing how I appeared to other people and, hopefully, by that alone, I wouldn't feel like a cynical piece of shit all the time. There could be some potnetial for me and my pre-concieved notions after all. Who would have known that it came from a mousy looking, post-EDC fest, kind of messy looking girl.

There I go again, assuming things. This was a habit I really needed to kill.

"I like you Phil. I can tell that you're a thinker. It is pretty obvious when you daydream all the time, but still, I like you. I'm sure you have a lot to think about regarding who you want to see, and how you want to approach this entire experience for yourself. That's really cool man. I wish I could go to something like this with a fresh set of eyes again. I admit, I'm pretty jaded from the multiple times I've been here, but you are going to have a great time."

"Okay! Kids, Phil, Jean! We have our penthouse, let's head on up!"

Sam yelled this message through the lobby. Announcing it to everyone like he was clearly trying to show off his room.

Linds got really close to me and whispered.

"Hey Phil, regarding your schedule, keep some time open so we can fuck. Either tomorrow or the following day afternoon is best for me. Let me know what works."