Chapter Eighteen: The Game

It was Sunday; a few days since we'd arrived back home from our beach vacation, and one day before school started back up for the week. All weekend I had been flustered and confused, replaying my scene at the beach with Hikaru over and over again in my head. Am I sick? I contemplated speaking to Haruhi about this, but I wasn't quite sure if she would be helpful to me. After debating on what I should do, I finally decided that I would ask her about my situation.

I slunk out of my room and into the kitchen where Haruhi was cooking us dinner. Her dad had gone out with some of his friends and it was just going to be the two of us for the night. I rubbed my arm as I approached her, and when she saw me her smile dropped.

"Hey, you look kind of sick. Are you feeling okay?" she asked. I nodded my head.

"I just wanted to talk to you about something."

"Sure, what is it?"

"It's about... a boy," I said shamefully. Her lips turned into a devious smirk as she continued to stir whatever she was cooking in the stove-pot.

"Oh really? By boy do you mean a certain red-headed twin?" she asked.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. "When I apologized to him at the beach, we had sort of a moment. He got really close to my face and I thought he was going to kiss me, but he didn't. And I was blushing."

"Blushing? Oh wow what a weird thing for someone to do in an embarrassing situation," Haruhi mocked.

"I'm serious, Haruhi. I've never felt myself blush before."

She tapped her chin and looked up at the ceiling. "Yeah, I guess you're right. You're usually so calm and collected, it's hard to imagine you becoming flustered like that."

"So what do I do?"

"Do you like him?"

"Of course I like him."

"You know what I mean."

"I don't know." I groaned and threw my hands up in frustration. "I don't know what these feelings mean. I've been thinking of him since, and my stomach gets all fuzzy like I need to throw up. It's very distressing," I whined and leaned against the counter.

"Maybe you should talk to him about this."

"No way. He would turn it into some kind of joke. You have to promise not to tell him anything."

"Of course I won't. But if you're acting like this now, imagine how you'll be tomorrow when you have to be around him all day," Haruhi said. I thought about what she said and tried to imagine just what tomorrow would be like. Would I become like one of his customers and be completely boy-crazed? Just the thought of seeing him in person made my face heat up. Damn you, Hikaru.

¤¤¤

I woke up the next morning from an uneasy sleep. I woke up what felt like every ten minutes from a nightmare that I forgot the second that I stopped dreaming. After eating breakfast and changing into my uniform, I spent more time than usual studying my appearance in the mirror. For once I felt uneasy about how I looked. Is the lip-gloss too much? Is my hair flat? Have my eyebrow always been this uneven? Haruhi walked into my room after calling out my name countless times and receiving no response.

"Miyoko, we're going to be late. Are you ready?" she asked and leaned against my door.

"Do I look okay?" I asked and fiddled with my dress.

"Huh? What do you mean, you look like you always do," she said.

"I always look like this?" I asked in a panicked shrill.