Chapter 6 - Teammates

"Nee, Momoi-san, please," Hayama cried as he tugged at Chiharu's blazer.

Chiharu turned around to face the three uncrowned kings. "I said no."

"Come on Haru-chan," sang Mibuchi, leaning against her desk. "You know... You get more chances to talk to Sei-chan."

Chiharu blushed. "I'm not like my sister! I'm not good at data gathering! I can't be your manager!" she exclaimed, her head swerving to face the window. Currently it was the early morning and as soon she had entered class, she found the three basketball regulars crowded around her desk.

But Chiharu did not want to become the basketball team's manager. Basketball had never been Chiharu's forte. She had observed the practices at Teiko Middle School and she found it too demanding. Also the loud noises and squealing fan girls brought back unwanted memories.

"Come on Momoi-san! Come on Momoi-san! I know Akashi would want you to join too!" Hayama exclaimed.

She turned to face them once more, but was shocked to see a red-haired figure behind them. 

Akashi.

"Akashi-kun," she gasped. The three senpais turned around in similar shock, their hairs rising from the chills they felt down their backs.

Akashi studied Chiharu. He then went to sit in his seat behind her table.

"Join. Our team needs your strategising skills. I'll talk to the coach."

He then ignored the whole lot and took out a thick book. It was a book that Chiharu had once read. 

Date Masamune.

All four stared, mouths open, at Akashi. Chiharu knew that the three had joked about Akashi actually accepting her in the team. He was captain. He had high expectations. Their surprise reflected her own.

Mibuchi clapped his hands together in excitement. "That's finalised! Haru-chan, you're joining the basketball team!"

Chiharu didn't reply. As the group of three began filing out of the classroom, the teacher came in to start the class.

...

Chiharu confronted Akashi, after school, during Shogi club practice. Instead of setting up the Shogi boards as she always did, she stood firmly, her arms crossed, waiting for the door to open. As she expected, the second the clock hand reached three pm, the start of club activities, Akashi walked through the door.

"What were you thinking?" Chiharu began.

He looked at her calmly. "What are you talking about?"

She glared at him. "You know I can't stand basketball practice! You know why I left Japan!"

He glared back at her. 

"I promised that I would protect you." he shot back. Akashi massaged his temples. "Let's not talk about this."

As he ignored her and walked towards the Shogi table, Chiharu stuck her hands out, blocking his way. 

His gaze intensified.

"What are you doing?" he questioned threateningly.

Chiharu didn't hesitate to reply. "The reason I left Japan was because I had become a basketball manager; your basketball manager!"

"And that is why I said I would protect you." He closed his eyes. "Rakuzan is different. No one is strong enough to stand against my wishes. Eikichi, Reo and Kotaro like you. They want you to be on the team."