Chapter 2 | Red Bean

Chiharu looked up at the large school gates of Rakuzan High.

The excited chatter of students surrounded her.

Chiharu had started high school late by two weeks due to the long transit times from America to Japan. Not only that but Rakuzan High was situated in Kyoto which was far from Tokyo. Chiharu had to move into a new apartment in Kyoto and live independently from her family in Tokyo.

As groups of students moved past her, so did their chatter and so did their excitement. Chiharu thought for sure that it would be difficult to integrate into her new school.

She looked down at her polished school shoes and dark grey uniform and then at the warm steam that emanated from her red bean bun.

In a place completely unfamiliar and foreign to her, she was thankful for the warm memories that her childhood snack brought back to her.

...

"Here," Akashi said, holding out a can of warm red bean soup.

Chiharu looked up into her favourite magenta eyes, surprised Akashi had known her favourite flavour.

He looked away as if reading her mind and Chiharu could see the red flush that had climbed up his neck and hung on his ears. "You always eat red bean buns in the morning."

She smiled and reached out to take it from his hand. Akashi had always noticed the small things.

"Thank you," she said, her voice coming out as a whisper.

He looked back at her as she wrapped her fingers around the can, feeling the warmth spread up her arms and into her body.

A sharp voice interrupted their sweet exchange.

"Where's mine?" asked Midorima, staring at the steaming hot red bean soup in Chiharu's hands.

"And ours?" questioned the rest of the Generation of Miracles, rubbing their hands ungratefully.

Akashi frowned, looking away from them and out towards the distant vending machine.

"Get your own," he said briefly, before opening his own matching red bean soup.

"Akashicchi," pouted Kise.

"Akachinnn... snacks..." muttered Murasakibara.

"Akashi-kun," urged Satsuki and Kuroko at the same time.

"Akashi," began Aomine and Midorima.

Akashi sent them a cold glare.

"Unfair..." they all whispered.

Chiharu chuckled at her group of acquaintances... or friends. After Akashi had announced their relationship, she began to hang out with the generation of miracles more and she liked to think of them as friends.

...

Chiharu pulled herself out of her reminiscence, quickly finishing off the rest of the red bean bun. In the US, it was difficult to find red bean flavoured foods.

She threw away the wrapper in a nearby bin and straightened her tie. Since arriving in Kyoto, she had lived by herself. She remembered her parent's disappointment when she said she would attend Rakuzan High. They couldn't bear to live apart from her again.

Satsuki wasn't surprised that Chiharu wanted to attend there. She knew the unfinished business between Chiharu and Akashi. Despite this Satsuki did not support her leaving. She wanted to protect her sister because she knew how much Akashi and the rest of the generation of miracles had changed.