Prologue 2 | Red and Pink

It had been a year since Chiharu had started attending Teiko Junior High. As a second year student she had familiarised herself with all shortcuts and hidden corners of the huge school. Dodging people became a skill of hers and Chiharu readily capitalised on it.

Clutching several books to her chest she sped down the hallway corridor towards the school's library. She only had an hour long lunch break so she wished to maximise her time reading her favourite Japanese war history books.

"Should I go with Date Masamune or Oda Nobunaga today?" Chiharu hummed under her breath, "Sanada Yukimura's war strategies are also pretty interesting."

She took a seat next to a large window, the sun shining through the glass and covering her like a blanket. Whenever she sat here her whole body would be filled with sun's warmth leaving her peaceful and happy. This was her favourite place - her comfort spot. In this place, she could sit in silence and not worry about anything.

Chiharu flicked through the book in her hands, engaged in the telling of the Siege of Osaka and awestruck by the brilliant defensive strategies orchestrated by Sanada Yukimura.

A voice came up from behind her.

"Sanada Yukimura ends up dying in the Summer Siege, you know."

Chiharu's heart skipped at the familiar voice.

"Momoi," Akashi greeted.

Chiharu turned around, surprised to see the red-haired boy who was often too busy with student council work and basketball vice-captain duties to be found.

"Akashi-kun," she breathed out.

Akashi smiled in response, taking a seat next to her.

"I didn't expect to see you here," he said.

He placed the books he was carrying on to the table and looked out of the window at the view.

Chiharu's mind blanked as she watched the warm sunlight illuminated his features and his smile. He turned to look at her and she looked away embarrassed, unsure of how to continue the conversation.

"You can see everything from up here," Akashi said. She held her breath nervously, as she managed to let out a small hum of agreement. Akashi paid no heed to her nervousness. Instead he continued, "What part are you up to in the book? I hope I didn't spoil his death."

"You've read this before?" she questioned. She had never met another person interested in the details of Japan's wartime history.

Akashi nodded his head. He took out a shogi board and a box full of shogi tiles that was stacked amongst the books he had placed on the table.

"Sengoku war strategies can be useful when playing shogi," Akashi replied. He paused before picking up a shogi tile and pointing it towards Chiharu. "Care to play with me?"

Chiharu's eyes lit up from the invitation. She thought their exchange would be brief because she knew how busy Akashi was.

She glanced down at the Shogi board.

"I don't know how to play," she uttered. .

Her voice came out as a small whisper and by instinct she prepared herself to repeat her words in a louder voice. But she noticed Akashi took out a small rectangular wooden piece that had the word gyoku on it and without questioning her he began to explain that it was the king piece that could move one square in any direction. He then followed by explaining all of the tiled shogi pieces and the rules of the game.

Chiharu, surprised that Akashi had heard her, then nodded her head at every sentence Akashi spoke, her mind forming mental images of the movements each Shogi tile could make and correlating it with the movements of the calvary and soldiers during the Sengoku Wars.

By the end of it, she had a clear idea on how the game worked and several strategies she could use. While she pondered on this, a stern voice spoke from afar.

"Akashi, lunch is nearly over. We should return to class."

Midorima appeared from behind a bookshelf, holding quite a few books. He glanced at Chiharu and nodded in her direction.

"Momoi," he greeted, glancing at the Shogi board on the table. "I see that Akashi is teaching you how to play."

Chiharu nodded her head, feeling a bit uncomfortable with Midorima's naturally sharp tone.

Akashi stood from his seat, garnering their attention.

"We better get back to class," he said, placing the Shogi tiles back into its box. He piled the box on top of the books he had brought over and then walked over towards Midorima.

"We'll see you around then Momoi."

Both figures turned and left, disappearing behind thebookshelves.

Chiharu's mind raced with that unusual interaction. She held both hands to her face hoping that she had acted normal. It had been a while since she had held a long conversation with someone at school other than Satsuki and Daiki.

As Akashi and Midorima left the library, Midorima could not help but look over at his red haired friend with curiosity. Akashi wore a light smile suggesting that he was in a good mood.

"It's unusual to see you teach someone Shogi," Midorima stated.

Akashi did not reply.

A few minutes later Midorima could no longer hold his curiosity and he began to speak again. But his red-haired friend stopped in his footsteps as if knowing what Midorima was going to ask.

"Momoi has potential. Her mind works fast and she has great observational skills. She is cautious with her movements and can perhaps prove to be a great ally in Shogi competitions."

"So you're interested in her talent? Like Kuroko?" Midorima questioned.

Akashi walked ahead of him, the tips of his ears red. The following words that came out were barely audible to Midorima.

"I'm interested in her..."