Chapter 9 - Fifth Symphony

"What do you mean?! Why are you not participating in the finals of the Inter High?!" cried Chiharu in disbelief.

Akashi glared at her. "Don't question me. Daiki won't be playing. Satsuki won't let him. It wouldn't be interesting if I played. Also, Rakuzan's victory is already assured."

"Still..."

One sharp gaze from Akashi's heterochromatic eyes shut her up. He then smoothly stood from his seat behind Chiharu and walked out of the classroom.

"Is something wrong?" Kisara questioned eyeing Akashi as he left.

Chiharu turned to Kisara. "It's nothing," she grumbled, sitting back in her seat. Remembering the upcoming school festival, she looked back to Kisara.

"Our class is organising the music compartment, right?"

Kisara nodded her head.

Rakuzan High, as a well renowned and prestigious high school in Japan, had many outside visitors during their school festival. Normal school would have cafes, plays and games organised by the students in their school festival. Rakuzan High, instead provided the platform for students to perform their talents. The outside visitors were usually scouters from companies and the school festival was the best place to showcase that talent.

Every class in the first year was assigned a specific category in which they were to show their achievements in. This included sport, music and artworks. It was to encourage activity and excellence in all areas. It was also supported by the school motto, 'Accomplishment in both Letters and Arms.'

Second years and third years had the freedom to choose which category they want to display their individual talent in. This was to give them a stage relevant to their accomplishments.

As a first year, Chiharu's class was assigned to feature their accomplishments in Music. That was easy enough for her as she had learnt and excelled in piano. She still remembered her harmonisation with Akashi, two years ago. It was one of her best memories that she shared with him.

Others, like Kisara, who excelled in other subjects, weren't happy with the lack of freedom to perform what they had wanted. Nevertheless, they would still have to perform.

...

The students passed around a sheet given by the teacher, stating what instrument they were going to perform with. Chiharu wrote down 'piano' before scanning through what other students chose. 

Kisara had chosen to sing, seeing how she couldn't play an instrument and Akashi, as Chiharu expected, had written down the violin. There were a variety of other instruments written down as well, the majority choosing to sing as their class hadn't been put in their favourable category.

Chiharu then passed the sheet down to the person in front of her. She turned her attention back to the teacher.

"In preparation for the upcoming school festival, there will be no school in the next few weeks. We expect you all to practice for your chosen instrument at home. As you've all entered this school from a harsh selection process, I trust that you will be able to manage this by yourself." The teacher paused. She looked down at her notes and finding something, she quickly looked up."Also the principal has specially requested that this be a duet." She stated looking back down at her notes.

The whole class cried out in disagreement. As if on cue, the school bell rang.

The teacher quickly continued. "The principal wants to encourage teamwork with your teammates. He said that's the one thing this school lacks. Therefore, for the first time in our school festival all first year students will be performing their act in a duet. I want a list of all the partners before the end of the week. That is all."