Chapter 4

I woke up to someone hissing in my ear. Well not directly into my ear but someone was obviously having a quiet argument in my room. What was someone doing in my room? I groaned when I remembered what Dimitri had said about his friends coming round and that I was not in my room but his. This was going to be awkward.

'Lissa, she is not my girlfriend!' A familiar Russian accent hissed.

'So what's she doing in your bed?' She retorted.

'I think I should probably say I'm up before this goes any further.' I mumbled into the pillow. I rolled over and two pairs of eyes flew onto me. I cringed under their gaze, not only was I slightly frightened but I was attempting to pull down the top that had ridden up to my waist without them noticing. Luckily, I was covered by duvets but I still felt too bare.

'Rose, meet Lissa. One of my friends I told you about.' He gestured towards a tall girl with long blonde hair and green eyes that were to die for.

'Hi Lissa, I'm Rose.' As I introduced myself, I tugged myself out of bed. 

'And she's wearing your top!' She hissed, continuing the argument. I knew she thought I didn't hear her so I continued playing along. 

'I'm just going to get changed, I'll walk home.' I whispered shyly. In return, I got a shocked look from Dimitri which then led to a smug look from Lissa. 'One night stand much?' She mouthed at him as I traipsed to the bathroom. I didn't want to have a shower so I quickly got changed back into my clothes from the day before, I would have a shower when I got back to the shelter.

When I stepped out of the bathroom, Dimitri was waiting and Lissa had gone god knows where in the apartment. 'I'll give you a lift back, I won't let you walk.' 

'You've done too much for me already.' I assured

'Just tell me where your foster home is and I can drive you back with no hassle.' He replied. I sighed and gave in easily as I wasn't much for walking home anyway.

'When do you want to leave?' I asked.

'Now. I'll let you avoid Lissa's interrogation. I know you heard what she said, I need to persuade her otherwise.' He groaned. I thanked him and he quickly went into the living room and alerted Lissa that we would be a while as he was bringing me home. I could hear her sniggering but ignored it.

'Ready?' He asked. I nodded and we set off. Once again, I was left panting at the bottom of the stairs. 'Comrade, you need to find somewhere that has a lift.' I laughed, still panting. He just shook his head in fake disapproval with a small smile plastered on his face.

'Get in the car.' He urged and led me to his battered Honda. We sat in silence with quiet 80's music playing in the background, making me laugh. 'What's so funny?' He asked. 

'Just that you,' I pointed at him, 'listen to this.' I then pointed to the radio and he let out a small chuckle. 'I have a theory that says that your laugh isn't as rare as you describe it.' I interrogated.

'You bring it out with your stupid comments.' He let out another heart-melting chuckle.

'Stupid?' I pestered.

'Ok, how else would you describe them?' He asked with a knowing smile on his face.

'I would say they are art. Delicately crafted sentences designed to make people laugh, and that's exactly what they do. I'm a natural comedian.' I declared, holding back the laughter that threatened to come up. 

It wasn't soon before we both cracked up, me more than Dimitri. He just chuckled continuously whilst I became so red in the face that I looked like a tomato even against my tanned skin. Tears were streaming down my face and I was wiping them furiously. My declaration wasn't even that funny but just simply our situation and we both knew it.

Fifteen minutes later, we arrived back at the shelter and Dimitri froze solid. 'This was my old home, it's exactly the same.' He blurted. I stared at him, open-mouthed. Had he grown up here? Although I hadn't been here long, I still spent a lot of time here.

'You can come inside if you want?' I asked nervously.

'Who are the carers now, I might talk to them if they're still the same ones as when I grew up here.' 

'Sam and Carry.' They were both quite old so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same and I assumed they were when he got out the car. I followed behind him and scrambled my pocket for the key and slammed it in the door and turned it with slightly too much force. I hated this place.

Dimitri and I walked in together and it was about lunchtime so most kids were running wild around the kitchen. Dimitri watched with a smile on his face at the innocent kids that waited patiently at the table for food. 'Should we go find Sam? I think Carry is out, she normally is at this time.' I asked.

'Sure.' He replied, shyer than before.

'Are you alright?' I asked sincerely. 

'Just memories.' He speculated. I nodded in understanding and dragged him off to where Sam was making soup. 'Hi Sam.' I waved, 'I brought someone with me if that's alright.' He smiled at Sam and he turned from where he was and saw Dimitri. Although Sam was old it didn't refrain him from his height, he was only an inch or two shorter. He went over and hugged Dimitri. 'How you've been?' He asked. Dimitri shrugged suddenly shy but Sam didn't mind. This is what Dimitri must be like with most people.

'Did you know Rose has your old room, Dimitri?' He asked. Dimitri didn't answer instead I blurted, 'You lived in the cave?' I asked wide-eyed. He nodded and dragged him out of the room. 'Well, come see your old room.' He smiled slightly and I brought him down the stairs and into my room.

That's how the next night that said stranger ended up in my room.

word count: 1057