Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

no no no...

"Wh-what do you want from me?" I try to sound strong but I couldn't stop my voice from shaking.

She starts laughing in a cold manner, the two other ladies following her lead. She takes another step closer to me.

"I truly don't want anything from you, I just wanted to show you your place in this world. You're nothing and I'm surprised that a man like Dr. Adam tolerates living under the same roof as trash like you. You come from trash, you are trash and so is your daughter. You're a joke." She says while looking right into my eyes.

What did I do to deserve this? Seems like no matter what I do the world is always against me.

Speak up Layla. Defend yourself and your angel.

"Who are you to speak to me in that way, huh? You know nothing! You go around calling people sluts and gold diggers but have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately?" I say raising my voice at her.

I don't care that I'm insulting her or hurting her feelings. All I care about is giving her a taste of her own medicine.

Her mouth snaps open, her eyes are looking as wide as saucers. Seems like I caught her off guard, but if the narrowing of her eyes are any indication, then she is back to her normal evil self in just a span of a few seconds.

"You whore!" She shouts at the top of her lungs and before I know it I feel a sharp sting on my left cheek.

I hiss in pain and open my eyes looking at her. Before I can open my mouth to utter something she opens the main door to the restroom and steps out, leaving me with a last comment that knocks the breath out of me.

"You and your daughter don't deserve to live. You're up for a surprise! Have a good night!"

She just slapped me.
And insulted me.
And threatened me...

Two lone tears fall down my face. I wipe them away angrily and try to forget what just happened.

I was happy just a mere minute ago, then the devil in disguise entered the restroom and verbally attacked me.

Why didn't I defend my little family. I should've said more... But I was too surprised to utter anything. Can't say I'm not used to how people treated me, more like still treat me but never have I felt more worthless than I felt right now.

This is nothing. I've been kicked down before and I learned to pick myself up from the ground. This is nothing new. I'll survive this. It's a promise.

A few more tears flow down my cheeks, I rest my head on the door and take a deep breath. I hate how weak I am sometimes. I try, God knows I try to be strong but there's only so much an already broken person can take.

Ya rabbi, help me, guide me, protect my daughter and I.

I make my way to the sinks and wash my face, grateful that I'm wearing waterproof mascara otherwise I'd look like a raccoon and that would immediately give away the fact that I've shed some tears. I towel dry my face with the disposable towels they've put in a basket and fix my dress and hair, ready to leave.

Pick yourself up Layla.

Don't show the world that you're weak.

I make my way back inside the event hall and look for Adam. I feel a few scrutinizing gazes on me but I try to ignore them. I swallow my nerves and try not to let them get to me. There are at least 150 people here, the men were dressed in expensive looking attires while their wives and girlfriends looked like a million bucks will all the jewelry, makeup, designer dresses and what not. I've never felt this out of place before, I definitely don't belong here, even if I'm wearing an expensive dress that Adam chose for me and spent lots of time trying to look this glammed up. I've noticed that even though most of the people here are doctors, nurses and CEO's, they still looked down on each other, most of them looked around the room with a snotty gaze, judging everyone that comes and goes.