Chapter Twenty Four

HEY GUYS IM SUPPER SORRY ABOUT THIS LATE UPDATE!! IVE BEEN WORKING 8-10 HOUR SHIFTS LIKE 3 DAYS A WEEK WHILE ALSO TRYING TO STUDY AND GO TO SCHOOL ANNNNDDDD LIKE Y'ALL KNOW EXAMS HAVE ALREADY BEGUN SO MY STRESS LEVEL IS HIGHER THAN HIGH. AGAIN IM SORRY!

PUT YO SEAT BELTS ON BECAUSE THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE HELL OF A DRAMATIC EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER RIDE! Enjoy.

(Comments of all kinds and votes are deeply appreciated! Thanks guys!)

(Not edited)

| LAYLA'S POV |

(Recap)

Before I open the door, someone opens it, I slowly look up and find myself gasping and dropping all the bags on the ground.

The face staring at me looks surprised and happy to see me. But I-I can't. My hands start to shake uncontrollably and a few tears make their way down my face.

I've missed him so much.

This can't be. He can't be here. What am I going to ? Oh Allah help me! They don't know! He doesn't know about Melak! How am I going to explain? Will they believe me? Will he look at me with disgust? Will they disown me?

"S-s... Sami?" I ask through my blurry eyes and shaky voice.

He takes a step forward. He slowly raises his hand and wipes away my tears while looking at me lovingly.

"Habibti Layla... I've missed my beautiful sister so much!" He says and kisses my forehead.

I forget everything for a moment and just let the moment sink in.

My brother. My brother is here. My brother whom I haven't seen in forever, 2 years and about 9 months to be precise, but who is counting right?

Why? Because I'm ashamed. And scared, and a coward, and petrified , and all the awful and unwanted feelings no human wants to feel.

I ran away. I hid. I was lost.

I'm still a coward.

I look into his light hazel eyes, almost identical to mine and see happiness reflecting in them. I immediately throw my arms around his neck and cling to him like a second skin. No words needed to be spoken.

I've missed every little thing about him. Having a brother can be annoying sometimes but it's times like this when you actually feel how necessary they are for your own life. For your own good. For a second it almost felt like I was at peace again. Like I was home. His familiar smell alone brought so many memories at bay.

I hide my face deeper into the crook of his neck and let my tears fall endlessly. So many memories are flooding back and it just felt like I couldn't handle anything. It was only now and then. Nothing more, nothing less. The sobs continued to rack through my body while his hands went up and down my back in a comforting manner. Sami kept murmuring soft words into my ears while hugging me back just as tightly.

A soft uncertain throat clearing from behind Sami pulled me out of my pity and sorrowful party. I pull back from our tight embrace and look behind him while I wipe away my tears with the back of my hand.

My eyes fall on a familiar looking stranger standing behind Sami looking quite uncomfortable but I look away still wiping my dried tears.

Adam clears his throat, "let's go inside, it's getting quite windy."

I nod my head and bend down to pick up the forgotten grocery bags with the help of Sami.

"No sis, I'll do it, I've missed helping your annoying backside!" He says with a chuckle.