Chapter Twenty-Eight: Choose You

"Please," I pleaded to Evan as I held the flimsy head of the wolf costume, "Just for one night."

He looked at me incredulously as I flashed him a sheepish smile, waving the wolf head around.

Without context, this looks absolutely ridiculous.

Okay, scratch that, even with context, this looks absolutely ridiculous.

Let's go back to about an hour ago. Everyone was getting ready for the game, the boys are in their own separate locker rooms as the girls arrived all dressed and prepped up for another excruciating night of cheering.

The mascot was always our helping hand when it comes to boosting the school spirt. He was the guy who would be ready to look crazy in a hot ass suit as he tumbled around in the field.

Sometimes, he was our only hope since he didn't need to force a cheerful expression – his costume did that for him.

"He's sick?!" I gaped when one of the girls informed me about the situation, "What happened?"

"He called me up saying that he woke up with a cold," she frowned, "He told me to pick up the suit from his house just in case we can find a replacement for him."

Who the hell would be willing to make a fool out of himself while enduring the heat that suit would give?

"I'll think of something," I muttered, grabbing the head from her arms, "For now, you girls head to the field, I'll catch up."

They followed my commands and slowly piled out of the gym. I dropped the head onto the bench as I bent down to its level, squinting my eyes towards it.

This little head reminds me of my own wolf.

Suddenly, the door swung open. I expected one of the girls to enter, but when I saw that it was Evan and his friend, I scrunched up my eyebrows in confusion.

Then again, I don't have much of a right to question them since they were the ones who caught me having a stare down with a mascot head.

I went back to glaring at the headpiece as they slowly moved to the side of the bleachers, Evan's friend bending down to grab the bag that was forgotten there. Then, ever so carefully, they went back to the door as if the mascot costume would come alive and eat them.

Or maybe they were still weirded out by me. Knowing is half the battle.

Wait a minute.

Slowly looking over my shoulder they were halfway through the door before I stood up and turned around, yelling, "Wait!"

They paused and I pointed towards the boy I was familiar with, "I need to talk to you."

They exchanged a look before Evan gestured for him to go on ahead, "I'll go on and follow you later."

With a nod, his friend exited the gym, still giving me a curious look. With a raised brow, Evan silently questioned my motives and I grinned, picking up the mascot head before waving it to his face.

And that was how we ended up in this current predicament.

"I'll treat you to whatever you want," I tried to negotiate. When he didn't falter, I blew a sigh before trying to show him a sheepish smile, "Come on, please?"

I'm using my last resort here.

He groaned before snatching the furry suit from my grasp, "I hate you sometimes."

"Thank you," I grinned before I forced the upper part onto his head, "I owe you one."

"You owe me a million," he grumbled, adjusting the wolf head that suddenly attacked him, "I can't believe I'm doing this."