Chapter Five: I'm Fabulous

Since I've been living with my mom ever since the divorce, I rarely see my father. I have mixed feelings about it, I don't hate him to the degree of how I despise my mother, but I don't exactly feel excited whenever I come over for visits.

He's a good guy – too good if I might say – but there was one aspect of him that I don't really like.

And as I neared his house, I'm reminded once again what it was. He lived in a dirt land, near a freaking barn. His home was situated in a compound, a closed area where my other relatives also resides in, and you can just guess from the life I live back in the high city what I feel about this.

But oh well, beats the other side of the family.

The gate was wide open so I smoothly drove in, looking at the identical looking houses. I stopped at the third one before I honked my horn, signaling him that I have arrived.

Big mistake.

Like I said, this is also where my other relatives live so when the car beeped, it sounded through the lot and out came the others. They were all grinning with that hospitable expression and I groaned, this isn't going to be easy.

When I stepped out, my shoes slightly sank in the semi-wet soil and I cringed at the feeling. These were kind of expensive.

Turns out, my dad was working on a paint job at the side of the barn and before he could come up to me, I was already swarmed by a sea of aunts, uncles, and cousins.

Sliding my sunglasses off, I gave them a forced smile, subtly dodging every attempt of getting hugged. It's almost impossible for me to think that I was once one of them back when I was really young, before I started getting into the whole snobbish thing.

"Clara!" dad ran up to me, his arms wide open. And just like the others, I stepped aside so I wouldn't be caught. Don't get me wrong, I like him but there's no way am I going to allow him to touch me while his clothes were covered in dirt and paint.

"Hey dad," I greeted, rounding off the vehicle, trying to get myself through the family and into the back. I took out my duffel bag and without much of another word, I got inside my father's house, careful so my shoes wouldn't sink again.

Dad was following right behind me, staying when I already got inside. Well, I could say that his furniture didn't change from those old ones he got years ago.

"I'm glad you came," he said, trying to break the silence I've dawned upon the place as I marched into my room, "Hallie has been excited to see you."

When I called, I soon found out that the reason why he asked me to come was because my cousin Hallie has been recently engaged so she and her fiancé were holding up an engagement party. We used to be pretty close and I used this as an excuse to get away from mom and Will.

Entering the small room, I nodded to my dad. A signal that meant that it was now okay for him to leave me alone, and thankfully, he got the message.

Taking out my phone, I dialed up Vivian's number and sighed, waiting for her to pick up.

"Clara," she said the moment she answered the call.

As I pulled off the sheets that was draped over my bed, I told her, "I'm in the hay stack, you know the drill."

She knows my dad's living situation and we often refer to it as the 'hay stack' and every time I'm here or even anywhere away from the town, she knows what to do or else she's dead to me.

Keep an eye on Gray, make sure the girls are in check, and if anything is out of place, inform me immediately.

As much as I didn't like, she knows well enough what to do. Besides, for now, she has no other choice but to obey me. As long as I wear the crown as head-cheerleader, she has to do whatever I say.