Chapter Seventeen: I Trust You

Just like what I suspected, people were talking about me and Gray. I did tell the girls to put a halt with those who are saying that Gray and I are were flirting and with their somehow applause worthy rumor-spreading skills, they did the task with ease. Now, what was engraved in everybody's minds was that we were officially broken up.

As if we were officially together in the first place.

True to their word, I heard nothing about Evan. I acted as if the plan to take him was a well-guarded secret between the team. I threatened them that if anything got out, the fifteen laps will happen – rain or shine.

While I sat by the railings of the school steps, I saw Gray spot me and wave. I turned to my side and pretended to listen to the story Vivian was telling, choosing to ignore the handsome bad boy.

I meant it when I told him I'll stay out of his business.

My eyes then went to the car that pulled into the parking lot, emerging from the passenger side was Erin and just a few moments later, Evan also got out of the vehicle. The girls all shook me, telling me to look his way.

Vivian nudged me and I bit my lip to prevent the sigh from escaping my lips.

Plastering a smirk, I hop off of the railing and I slowly strutted to the direction where he was so that I could meet him halfway. Swaying my hips, I made sure the cheerleaders were watching. I breezed past Erin before I mouthed towards Evan, "Play along."

He wasn't able to register it quickly enough so he jolted up when I latched onto his arm and let out a giggle, showing him a pretty smile, "I was waiting for you."

"What?" he whispered so only I could hear, confusion laced in his voice.

"I'll explain later," I answered in a hushed voice, "Just laugh."

Luckily, he did. It wasn't rolling on the floor laughter, but he did let out a chuckle as I continued on my sweet pretense of happiness. Erin looked over her shoulder and paused when she saw the position her brother and I were currently in.

This is to get the girls off of my back, little lamb. Now look forward before I have to crack your neck just to make you do so.

When we were going up the stairs, I winked at my teammates as I walked along with Evan to the inside. Once we were in, I let him go and followed him as he went to his locker, "I just needed a way to make the girls see that I was alright and I don't need to chase Gray anymore."

"So basically I'm your prop," he said, his voice monotone.

I flinched at how harsh he delivered his words and my lips fell into a flat line. He sighed before grabbing the books he needed and slamming his locker door shut, "You're better than that, Clara."

Without another word, he walked away and I exhaled loudly, leaning against the wall.

I knew this was going to bite me in the ass at some point. I didn't think it would this early on with the plan.

When I saw Gray was approaching with Erin next to him, I groaned before standing up straight and strutting way past them. I don't have the energy to deal with these two right now.

But nonetheless, keep the hips swaying and the heels clacking. If I lose my poise, I lose the war.

"Clara!" I heard Gray call my name and I pretended not to hear him as I continued on my way.

You made your choice Gray, you can't have both toys. It's either you play with one and leave the other one alone.

I went straight to the classroom, taking a seat on my usual desk as I fished out my book and opened it so I have a reason to hush Gray when he attempts to bother me. My phone started ringing and I looked at the screen, groaning when I saw Hallie's name.