Chapter Eighteen: Rehearsal Dinner

"I'm just so happy Clara chose you," mom said as she praised Evan.

Rolling my eyes, I tapped my wedge-clad foot on the floor in impatience. Thankfully, my ankle has fully healed and I was now bandage free so that meant that I could go back to high heels and such, having a limit to what shoes I can wear was such a pain.

Meanwhile, my mom thought that it was god's gift to her for me to bring Evan to the wedding instead of Gray. She knows Gray, and she also knows the talks floating around him. She was aware that we were very close and she has never shown approval for the guy.

But with Evan who has come to our house multiple times and has showed how mature he was in some situations, she was elated for him to enter my life.

Besides, she thought that he was a safe option since she was already acquainted with his mother.

To be honest, I thought Will would be the one showing such a display. Luckily, he was away for the weekend because of another business trip.

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to get suspicious at the sudden burst of business trips that pulled him away from here. I'm not stupid, I know he's doing something that no one in this house would be happy about.

"We're just friends," I clarified one more time.

She cooed at Evan once again and I groaned, finding this enough, "I'm heading to the car, just come out when you're ready."

We don't have much time since we got out of school at three and we had to be at the rehearsal dinner at eight. With more or less five hours allotted for the journey, we have to rush as fast as we can without causing any major accidents.

With my overnight bag in my hand I went to the front door. Just as I opened it, I jumped up in shock to see Gray standing there with his finger hovering on the doorbell.

I'm quite afraid to ask.

He saw me and his hand dropped before speaking, "Am I late?"

Peeking my head out, I scanned around the lot to see if anyone else was with him. When there was no one, I looked back at him, "For what?"

Did I accept an invitation to a party or something I forgot about?

"The wedding," he replied simply, about to reach for my bag.

Good thing though, the idea was quick to register in my mind. I took a step back and shook my head at him, "I told you that you don't need to come with me."

"But I wanted to," he trailed off and my expression softened.

I still have that soft spot for him. No matter how mad I can be, if he just looks at me with those brown eyes, I'm as good as done. I feel like that I'm the only person who can see the innocence in them, that lying under those harsh glares and deadly looks, he has the most harmless thoughts.

And like always, our moment was quickly ruined. This time, I was quite grateful that it did.

"Alright," Evan said, emerging from the inside of the house, "I managed to shake your mother off."

I don't know whether to hug the life out of this guy or to quickly shoo him away before Gray strangles him. This wolf loves having it all and for him, Evan was another hurdle in his childish wishes.

Gray's attention snapped towards the other brunette boy. Evan finally realized who was standing at my doorstep and he let out a low, "Oh."

This was not the predicament I thought I would be in. I thought the only problem I would be having today was trying to make it to the dinner without getting a ticket. With the amount of time we're spending having a staring contest here, I think that would be impossible now.