Chapter 1: Into my Eyes

When you feel my heat

Look into my eyes

It's where my demons hide

(Demons by Imagine Dragons)

TWO YEARS LATER

"Damian! You're going to be late for school!"

"I'm coming!" I shouted back just as I finished putting on my black dress shoes. With a sigh, I gave a cursory glance in the full length mirror of my room. My black hair had gotten too long, and Asteria has been pestering me for days to get it cut, but I like it better this way. The green eyes I inherited from my mother stared back at me, just like they always did, reminding me of the woman that raised me. The Gotham Academy uniform was plain and boring, not to mention difficult to move in. A white button up shirt, a choking tie, a blazer with the school logo and matching slacks. Frowning, I loosened the tie around my neck irritably, grabbed my bag and headed to breakfast.

Contrary to popular belief, high school is not the best years of one's life. I started my freshman year just a few days ago, and already, I wanted to ask father if I could quit going. I would choose to spend a day holed up with my annoying adopted brothers than face the people at school. Especially the girls. They were always giggling or looking at me, asking me stupid questions during lessons like they weren't paying attention. Whenever I would complain about it to Asteria or Razel, they would just laugh at me.

Finally, I arrived at the dining hall to see that my family was already there. Father sat at the head of the table, dressed for work. He was reading the newspaper like everything was normal, when chaos had broken all around him. I took my usual seat across from Grayson. Beside him was a high chair, and in it sat my nephew. Sort of. Edward Thomas Wayne had his mother's grey eyes and his father's dark hair. At the moment Dick was trying to feed him something that looked suspiciously like goo. When I sat down, Edward looked right at me and gave me a big, toothless smile. I raised my eyebrows at him and unfolded my napkin, placing it on my lap.

"Good morning, Damian. How'd you sleep?" father asked, finally placing his newspaper down so that he could eat. He glanced at me with his light blue eyes before focusing on his food.

"Considering that Kate started wailing at around two in the morning, not very well," I answered bluntly. As if to prove my point, I heard the little monster's squeals. Glancing at the open doorway, I watched as Asteria entered the dining hall, carrying the culprit in her arms.

Katherine Rose Grayson. It was bad enough that Asteria had to marry Grayson and give birth. To top it off, she gave birth to twins! Twins! "Good morning everyone," Asteria greeted, plopping down onto an empty chair. Beside the chair was also a high chair, and Asteria placed Kate down. Once again, Kate gave a little squeal, looking around with her bright grey eyes.

While Dick and Bruce replied to Asteria's greeting, I continued to eat my breakfast. Todd was quietly doing the same beside me, until Razel walked in with Garnet. Oh great. Another one. Garnet Mione A. Todd. Yes, you guessed it. She was Jason and Razel's daughter.

"What took you guys so long?" Jason asked, while I watched in silence as Dr. Anders placed their child in a high chair between them. Suffice to say, we had a large supply of high chairs nowadays.

"Do you think it's easy to change diapers, Jason?" asked the feisty brunette before taking a seat as well. Garnet made a sound that sounded like she was agreeing with her mother.