55. Written in the Stars

It's time to go to bed

As soon as Mason left, I just sat down on the rug and stared at my beautiful, completed room. And it made me sad.

There will be no more paint wars, no more petty arguments, no more excuses to know Mason Donovan. I could pretend that we'd still keep in touch, or be close, but that's just not how it works. It's like with your friends. You stop going to the same school, the same classes and no matter how much you call or write or skype, you drift apart.

This time next year, I won't even know which college Mason wants to go to, and I won't know what he means by everything he says and all of the things that happened in these past four months won't matter. They'll fade and become brittle until they're little more than a hey, remember when?

But I don't want it to be a memory.

I want these things to keep happening over and over so that I can annoy the living daylights out of this boy and maybe someday he'll kiss me again and actually mean it, but I can't expect that. So I just want to be... there. With him. Not his friend or his enemy, but the stupid little girl he got saddled into spending eons of his time with. Is that too specific of a comfort zone?

I sigh and tilt my head up to stare at the lights above me. Fireflies. Why am I so stupid? Why did I choose to dangle reminders of something I could never have right in front of my face for me to look at every day?

It's finally started to rain.

Turning off the main lights, I crawl under my covers and search for the switch that connects to the Christmas lights. It would be such a shame to have them go out, glowing gold above my head. It's beautiful. I could just leave them on all night...

But what about the stars? Oh, I almost forgot! Giddily, I press the button and watch as the fireflies drop out of the air and leave the sky to shine through.

Hundreds of tiny green stars beam at me, and I beam back, to the galaxies that don't exist. Mason did a good job.

There are clusters of shining spots that look like real constellations, and I wonder if maybe somewhere on one of those dots, there is a universe where Mason would come back through that window and make everything okay.

The thing is, I don't feel drowsy at all. It's near midnight, and I'm the only teenager on the planet that could tell you that I'm not tired. So, I decide to count the stars, study each and every superficial constellation until I fall asleep.

I don't get far before I notice something.

The stars... they're in specific groups. Anyone can have see that the galaxy is arranged into six main constellations, but it's almost like they're something... more.

"What the hell, Mason..." I whisper to myself, pushing away the covers. I sit up to get a better view, but decide that I may as well stand if I'm going to crane my neck that way. Taking cautious steps through the darkness, I stumble on the edge of the rug and almost fall flat on my face.

I curse and face the heavens above, ironically enough. My eyes squint in attempt to make out the unclear objects within the glowing spikes.

Okay, definitely letters.

Mason has obviously decided to play God and write something most likely highly insulting on my ceiling. Jerk.

I can definitely make out a 'P' at the front... or the end. Who knows which way he intended for it to be read?

"Peas?" I exclaim incredulously, shaking my head at the message. Peas? Peas? What am I supposed do to with peas?

"What?" A gravelly voice snaps, and I squeal before a hand is clapped over my mouth. Which only makes me scream more. "Shut up, Tori. It's me. It's me."

Oh. It's him.

I aim for his crotch and drive my knee upwards, but he jumps backward, narrowly missing a life of sterilisation. "Mason!" I whisper yell at him and he throws his hands in the air. I go to slap him and he dodges again.

"You're crazy!" He huffs, eyes bewildered.

"Yah." I reply dumbly and he scowls. There's three beats of silent glares before I lose it.

"Why'd you write 'peas' on my ceiling?"

He lifts an eyebrow, "What?"

I point to the stars, grunting in exasperation at his ignorance. I know he did it on purpose.

In the darkness I can barely make out his features, though as he tilts his head upwards, I swear I see him roll his eyes.

"Goddammit Tori, you are so thick."

*******************************

Very short chapter but LANIJOY IT'S FINALLY HERE, IT'S NOT GREAT BUT IT'S H E R E

Mwahahahahahaha, I've already written the next chapter, and I'll update it this afternoon. I'm trying really hard to fit a song to it, because it's just aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

HEY GUYS, JUST REMINDING YOU THAT I HAVE PUBLISHED A POETRY BOOK AND AM SUPER EXCITED ABOUT IT - GO CHECK IT OUT www.lulu.com/shop/eva-hale/doors-to-nowhere/paperback/product-23304153.html