29. Reeces Pieces

I have no idea what we decide to watch. All I know is there are gunshots and a lot of them. And cars. Don't forget the cars.

Another thing I know is that Katherine ditched me. The wench opted to sit beside lover boy Stanley instead of me. I guess it isn't too bad, considering I'm sat beside Dylan. He really is the perfect gentleman. He even scored us a brand new (never-before-jock-touched) bean bag to lean on.

The downside – and yes, there is definitely a downside – is, guess who's on my other side?

Have you guessed?

I bet you haven't.

It's Alex! Totally joking, I wish it was Alex.

"Will you two shut up?" Mason growls, suddenly extremely moody. I glare at him, trying to ignore my next door neighbour who is still somehow still my neighbour in this setting.

The worst part is that these are our sleeping arrangements. Yeah, you heard me. I begged Katherine to abandon ship once she'd flirted up a storm with Stanley and the movie was over but oh no. She insisted that we stay downstairs the night, as to not raise suspicions. I have no idea what that even means.

Well, I would rather raise the devil himself than sleep beside Mason Donovan.

He's just getting on my nerves tonight. At first he was okay, and then nothing. He's just a grumpy little gnome crunching on Reeces Pieces. I have a feeling he's not over the moon with this arrangement either. Not easy enough access, probably. Oh, if only Kasey was here to let you put your hands all over her! I feel no pity for him.

On a completely different note, that has absolutely nothing to do with the rage I feel: he stole my popcorn. Stole it.

Isn't it lovely that I have Dylan over here to share with me? Yeah, that made Mason's smug smile drop pretty fast.

Don't roll the dice if you don't know how to play the game, son.

"Are you liking the movie so far?" Dylan's iridescent hair almost glows in the haze of explosions. And his adorable smile. I open my mouth to lie yes, yes it's wonderful. Best movie I've ever seen but –

"I would be if I could hear it." I roll my eyes and Dylan exhales from his nose. Neither one of us bothers looking to my right.

The two of us take a second to collect ourselves before his forest eyes light up, "I'm going to get more popcorn," He raises his voice so that the boys (plus a traitor girl) hear, "Anyone want?"

A chorus of orders sounds of drinks and snacks and I think I hear Austen call for some fried rice. I smile politely at Dylan as he gets to his feet and disappears into another room.

"What's wrong with you?" I hiss at Mason, shocking him almost out of his grumpy-mode. He mutters something under his breath and I narrow my eyes, demanding he speak up.

"The guy's been drooling over you since you got here." He sneers and I snort.

"And why does that bother you so much?"

He doesn't answer. I nudge him aggressively and he spills his Reeces Pieces. "Hey!"

"Answer me." My face is practically boiling with rage, bubbling and contorting in ways I didn't even know were possible. There's a pause and a round of gunfire in the background.

"Anderson... Isn't good enough for you." He shakes his head, as if expelling the idea from his head.

I laugh humourlessly, "Pfft, that's your argument? If Dylan isn't good enough for me, than who is, Mr Matchmaker?"

Dylan Anderson not good enough for Tori Aspen? Please. That boy is gold and everyone knows it. If any girl in Hansen High had a chance with him, they would battle for the prize. Sure, Mason's got girls bending over backwards for him, but Dylan is pretty much perfection in any other girl's eyes.

'Any other'... that includes you, right?

Of course. Of course it does, what am I thinking?

Mason mumbles something under his breath, but I'm too involved in my own thoughts to care.

Dylan is the poster boy for the American Dream. He is the kind of guy that settles down in a little town like Annandale and gets married and has kids... and hosts barbeques... and gets divorced and has the kids for the summer.

The thing is, the more I think about it the more it bothers me. Dylan is kind, but not fierce. He's gentle and subdued and not passionate about... anything really. You could throw a boulder at him and he'd brush it off and laugh.

Mason on the other hand... "The guy's a total tool, Tori. Don't date him. Please." There is a desperate edge to his voice that snaps me back to reality.

"Who said anything about dating?" I ask drowsily. Katherine. Katherine did. A foreign emotion passes over Mason's features, but before I can tell what it is –

"I'm back." Dylan slumps down beside me and holds out a bottle of water, "With refreshments."

We don't talk much after that.