chapter 26

J A C K

She's in so much pain! We've been here from about half 10 yesterday. It's now 3 in the morning. We're all tired but Lauren's in pain! She keeps screaming out 'fuck' every so often but then she did it differently...

"FUCK! Jack! I- fuck! It hurts! I-"
"Calm down bear. Do you want me to get the nurse?"
"No it's gone."
"Another contraction." Conor pointed out to us.

~

It's now about 6 in the morning. The nurse has just come in to see how far through she is.
"Okay honey, your 8 cm's now. Just call us if anything happens okay?"
"Okay..." It can't be too long now. I know Conor was definitely tired as he crashed out in the seat. We said We'd wake him up if anything happened. I would do anything to sleep right now but there's no possible way! Not when that baby could come any minute now!

~

So we were casually talking, me and Conor, when there was lots of screaming from Lauren.
"Jack! Jack I need the toilet! Jack it hurts! I need the toilet!" What the hell do I do in this situation? I looked at conor who decided to get the nurse. She came in pretty quick and checked a few things.

"Right Lauren, you're ready to push!" What? It's happening! It's finally happening! I ran over to her and grabbed her hand. Conor got her other hand.
"Okay so when we tell you to push you have to do it as hard as you can, as if you're straining for a poo." Me and Conor had to hold in the laughs.
"Okay ready and... Push!" She squeezed my hand so tight and it was my turn to scream in pain.

She was nearly there. A lot of tears were running down her face and she was in a lot of pain!
"Okay once more! Push!" Again I felt her squeeze my hand and I wanted to scream with pain! I heard it. The sound of our little baby being born. The sound that I was looking forward to. Our baby boy was crying. He was crying so much! The nurse brought him to Lauren and she held him close to her. There were tears pouring down her face and massive smiles on everyones faces. The nurse started to clean him a little and got me to cut the cord. I was scared it was going to hurt him but the nurse told me it wouldnt. So I did it and our baby was officially out. The nurse grabbed him to check different things and made Lauren take her top off to have some skin to skin.

The nurse handed Lauren the baby after putting on his nappy. Lauren held him close and put a blanket over him, half to cover him and half to cover herself from Conor. He quietened a lot as soon as he was touching her.

"He's amazing." I heard Conor say. I was speechless. I didn't know what to say.
"Excuse me guys, sorry there's someone here who wants to see you." That could only be Josh.
"Is he okay to come in?" Lauren didn't look too sure.
"Of course. But only for 5 minutes."

The nurse left and came back in, Josh following behind her. He walked over and awwed at little Caleb.
"So do you know yet?" Of course.
"No! Josh I've literally only just pushed him out ten minutes ago. I haven't paid much attention to him yet." Much... she's paid a lot of attention to him.

Caleb woke up all too soon and that gave us the opportunity to look at him. He was hungry so Lauren adjusted herself so she could breast feed.
"This is the weirdest feeling I've ever had!" She looked at him and his eyes were open. She looked at Josh apologetically. As soon as Caleb finished feeding, she moved him to just be lying in her arms. I looked at him and she looked at him. We looked at each other. He may be all squished up but you could clearly tell who's he was.

"So?"
"Im sorry." Josh looked like he was about to cry.
"He's got the most gorgeous blue eyes. Everything about his facial features... He's Jack's." The room went silent. I started to cry tears of joy that he's mine. Josh stormed out the room. It sounds perfect. Caleb Michael Maynard.

(Just going to say now... R.I.P Caleb LeBlanc. Truly loved and missed by many!)