Chapter 37

Bella P.O.V

We arrived at Oregon in less than four hours. The journey was very quiet. Not a single person said a word during the entire journey. I did notice the many carriages following us, it was as if the entire town was being evacuated.

When we arrived at the main house in Oregon where the Harrison family welcomed all of us with open arms. The man, Alexander Harrison was very young, probably younger than Carlisle and his wife, Lilly looked around Rosalie's age. They had three children, twins boys and a little girl that's two years old.

Lilly welcomed me immediately after I got out of the carriage.

"Sweetie, your room is all set up for you. We have some of the best governesses who are willing to take good care of you," she said with a smile.

"Thank you but I don't want to be rude and stay in a room all day," I said shyly.

"Nonsense," Alexander said. "We are aware of your condition. Your husband specifically asked us to take good care of you."

"My hu-?"

"Yes, thank you," Esme interrupted me. Something tells me she's behind the little husband lie. "Honey, the doctor said you have to remain in bed and we already broke that rule by doing this journey. Go on, Alice will bring up your dinner."

Before I could protest, Alice dragged me along with a housemaid who led us up a set of stairs. We were given immediate privacy as our luggage was left by the door. I look at Alice who avoids my stare and walks over to the window. She sighed touching the side of the curtain and just stood there.

"You must not be mad at Mrs. Cullen. If it is known that you and Edward are having a child out of marriage it would be a chaos," she said trying to engage conversation.

"Alice, you cannot hide from me that something grave is happening," I said. "They evacuated the whole town of Portland."

"You already know, Bella. His men are in Seattle, dangerously close to Portland. We could not risk the people," she said tiredly. "I'll go see if Esme needs help with anything, do not leave the room and try to get some rest."

She walked out of the room and shut the door behind her. I hear her talking to the guard outside my door and leave. I know what she asked them, to not let me leave this room not matter what. Alice has always been so terrible at whispering but either way I cannot leave the room no matter what. I might as well take her word and get some rest. I'm very tired.

Just as I finished brushing my hair before bed, a slight creek sound caught my attention back to the room. I stayed very quiet and the sound happened again though it was a little longer and followed by a slight bang. I grab the candle next to the mirror and slowly walk out of the bathroom. The bathroom door slowly opened, revealing the empty room and there beside the now opened window stood Martin.

I put the candle down and run over to him.

"Martin!" I wrap my arms around him tightly. He kinda smells, he probably hasn't taken a bath in days but I don't care. I hug him tightly and pull away. "Where have you been?"

He sighed. "I've been... I've been um..." He looked very confused and that worried me. "What has... What has Edward told you?"

"At first he said that you went out for a hunt but I didn't believe a word and now the entire town has evacuated." I pause. "Where have you been all this time? My Nana, she's..."

"I know, love, I know." He pulls me in another tight hug. "I'm so sorry to hear about that."

I pull away. "Okay, no offense, Martin, but you really do stink." We both chuckled. "There must be some clothes you can use, I'll get the bath ready for you."