Chapter 26

Bella P.O.V

Gus smiled at Martin, his smile showed off his yellow teeth and I just noticed the beer stain on his white beard. He stepped ahead of the group of six men behind him. "Really? And how is that?"

Martin gripped my arm and said, "This girl. She's worth a lot of money to me and it would help me pay off my debt with you fine gentlemen."

Gus, the leader of the group of men looked around to his group and nodded. "Great. Now, how is it that she's worth that much money, if I may ask?"

"She's the daughter of a mayor, down in Washington state. I need to get her there and collect my prize."

"Ay, how do we know he's not lying to us, Gus?" One of the group members accused Martin. "What can that dirty bag of hormones be worth that much if she's here in the first place?"

Dirty? Says the man who looks who hasn't showered in months! Martin pulls me back when I step forward toward him. I just want to punch that man in the face for calling me a dirty bag of hormones, how dare he!

"Hey, calm down," Martin warns me. He looks at the man and says, "She was taken from her home and I'm sure that knowing that she's a Mayor's daughter, a lot of money would be offered."

"How do you know she's not lying?" Gus asked.

"Because she wouldn't be that stupid." That last part, I know that is directed to me. He clearly said he didn't trust me and right now, it's a warning not to betray his trust. I wonder how many people have done so.

The old, one legged man, stepped forward with his eyes locked with mine. He raised his hand, which to his group was a sign to stand back. They do and remained silent as the old man looked at me with suspicious eyes. Martin stiffened next to me and pulled me back behind him, protecting my body with his.

The man gave him a warning look before turning back to me but his eyes traveled down my soaked body and stopped on my abdomen. He stared at my abdomen for at least two seconds before looking at me in the eyes.

"The girl," he said, his voice was low and soft. Too soft. "She's with child."

I grab Martin's arm and grip it tightly. How does he know? How could he know? The group of men looked st each other before turning back at us with anger in their faces.

"How does he know?" I ask Martin in a tone low enough for him to hear.

"Hush."

"Who's the father of the child, girl?" The man asked me.

"It's someone-"

"He is not asking you, Martin," Gus said. "He asked the girl. Now, answer the question before we tear you open and that little thing falls out."

Martin gripped his knife and stepped forward, like an wild animal. "You dare touch her, I'll cut your throat open!"

"Gentlemen!" The old man said. "Let's not fight. There's a lady present." He turned to Martin and said, "Martin, I give you my word that no harm shall come to your lady from my sons."

"Speak for yourself, Father," one of the men said.

Oscar gave them a warning look before turning back to Martin, waiting for his answer.

"You know well Oscar that a men's word is no longer valid to me," Martin spat on his face.

"On my daughter's grave, we shall not harm the young girl."

I looked at Martin who relaxed his shoulders and just stared at the man. Neither both of them looked away from each other for what seemed an eternity until Martin nodded and wrapped his arm around my waist. He brought me closer to the old man, Oscar and gave a nod as if he was giving him the approval to talk to me.