Chapter 28

Bella P.O.V

I'm shaken awake by Martin the next morning. Everyone was still outside sleeping and Marian was no by my side anymore but with Alma and Oscar. I look up at Martin who hands me a cloak and quietly motions me to follow him.

I at my surroundings. The sun is barely rising at the horizon and the sky is going from the dark blue to the light blue and the stars are fading away. With my cloak on, I follow Martin into the woods. He doesn't say anything as we walk deeper and deeper inside. It's a silent walk other than the birds that I can hear nearby and their quiet singing.

The walk wasn't long. We reached a beautiful meadow. It just like the one back at home and the sun shine here when it didn't back at the cottage. The air was cold but thanks to the cloak, it kept me warm. The tulips were beautiful, many different colors that popped against the green of the grass.

"It's beautiful," I said.

"My wife and I used to come here back when she was alive," Martin said in a thoughtful tone. "Back where everything made sense."

I turn to look at him. He looked at the meadow with a sad look in his eyes, the memories must be very hard to bare for him.

"What was her name?" I asked.

"Lily," he answered. He smiled down at his feet at the lilies beneath us. "She planted this here."

I walk to him, tightening the cloak around me. "Why did you bring me here?"

He looked at me and said, "Because I do not trust Gus, nor half of the other brothers."

"But Oscar said-"

"Oscar is indeed a noble man and I'm sure he will keep his words, just like Seth, Jesse and Hansel, but not Gus. He is vicious and I do not trust him." He takes out a dagger from his pocket. "That's why I want you to carry this."

My eyes pop open. Does he want me to carry one?

"Why would I carry this?" I asked pointing at the knife as if it was a parasite.

"It didn't seem to bother you when you were pointing it at me back when we met," he said with amusement.

"Well, I didn't trust you then."

"Do you trust me now?"

I shrugged. "Considerably for the past three days, yes."

He nodded. "Good. Then trust me when I tell you this is necessary. Gus could attack you at any time and I don't want to take any chances."

"But I have you."

"I won't be there all the time, but I will try. It's just for protection, Isabella. It will give this bastard some peace."

I sighed. I'm not bad with daggers after all, Father did teach me and my brother a thing or two. I am also very good at fencing. I take the dagger but when I was about to put away, he stops me.

"Where do you put your weight?" He asked.

"My weight?"

He takes a large step toward me as if he were to attack me, which makes me step back with my right. He puts my left arm up.

"Use the left to block the hit and with your right you stab," he tells me. "Most importantly, stab without hesitation. Stab and don't pull out until you're sure their soul has left their body."

I shook my head, taking my arm back. "I'm not a murderer."

He sighed. "Sometimes people don't leave you no choice." He points to my dagger. "Hide it, and be careful. You might lose a finger if you don't handle it correctly."