Chapter 7: Party like the Roof is on Fire

Party like the Roof is on Fire 

Chapter 7

Now I was never the best boy scout, but I’m pretty sure Smokey the Bear would be pretty pissed off right now. I didn’t know how exactly, but we had to get out of this house right now. Fire plus rooms filled with alcohol wasn’t exactly the best combination. I glanced around trying to find another route of escape that wasn’t covered in debris.

I felt Maya swaying back and forth behind me. “This is the best party ever!” She screamed.

I could practically feel the headache growing. Everything on the first floor was in ruin at this point. The once great Dance Dance Revolution floors were reduced to shambles, and the same could be said for all the party favors. The smoke was starting to linger more viciously causing my eyes to water. I covered my mouth and nose with the sleeve of my shirt while pulling Maya closer to me.

“Maya we have to get off this floor, get on my back!” I yelled moving closer to the stairwell.

“Yay, piggy back ride!” she cheered, jumping on top. I felt my knees buckle slightly.

Even in a drunken state I wouldn’t call her fat. It was too risky and asking to get hit. I grabbed on to the back of her legs while struggling up the stairs. It wasn’t easy carrying someone when your arm is burnt. I avoided the burning chair embedded into the steps. I can only assume it fell from an upper level which was not a good sign.

Reaching the second floor I saw that it was no better than the first. The flames had already beaten us here covering the entire loft in ablaze. In the background I noticed a giant portrait of Alden, or what was left of it I guess. Even in a situation like this I couldn’t help but think the guy was a little too conceited. I turned down the closest hallway which was still somewhat intact.

“Where did the fireworks go?” I heard behind me.

I roll my eyes, now wasn’t exactly the best time for this conversation. I took a step forward only to have my path blocked by a chandelier. I heard Maya scream behind me.

“Calm down, we’re fine!” I assured her.

As soon as the last word left my mouth I felt the ground beneath me give way. I flung Maya off my back just in time before I felt myself fall below. I hit the ground hard letting out a painful cry as I rolled out of the way of the falling planks of wood. Groaning I slowly sat up clutching my now bleeding arm. I refused to look at it though, as if somehow looking at it would make it more painful. Maya. Where was Maya? Had she fallen too? I frantically searched for the drunken girl.

“Maya!”  I called out, “Where are you!?” I felt my worst fears confirming as images of Maya’s lifeless body flashed through my mind.  Suddenly I heard a muffled cry from above. I snapped my head up to see a dazed Maya clutching her head.

“Oh thank God.” I said relieved.

“What happened?” She asked glancing down. “Whoa! How did you get so short? Or did I get taller?” She said looking around.

I let out a sigh still drunk as ever I see. “Maya I need you to go in any room and hide there. Cover the vents and don’t open the door! I’ll be there soon!”

For once thankfully she listened. Scrambling to her feet she ran back down the hallway. Finally regaining strength I stood up dusting myself off. Wherever I was it was not the first floor. It was extremely dark, with crates and shelves covering the walls. I limped forward wiping some dust off a glass cabinet door. Inside were bottles, and old ones at that. I glanced over to the other cabinets further down. All the same, I thought.