Chapter 1: Calm before the Storm

Chapter 1

Calm before the Storm

You ever wonder how a good idea, turns to a bad one so quickly?

All around me I hear teens screaming, and scrambling in different directions. They don’t really care where to, as long they get far enough from those flashing red, white, and blue lights. I can’t really judge seeing I’m doing the same. Footsteps. I hear them approaching, and at a fast pace too. It urges me to run faster. I have to get away, but it doesn’t help I can’t see where I’m going. Not by choice of course, but because I’m blindfolded.

I feel myself bump and crash into what I can only assume are trash cans; I must be in an alley. My feet splash into puddles, and scrape against loose papers on the ground. Stumbling to the side, I hide behind the nearest object, which I can only hope conceals me. I hear the footsteps slow down. I hold my breathe.

“Did you see him?”

“I think he went this way.”

“Well then look for him! He couldn’t have gotten far. He’s cuffed for crying out loud!”

I press my back up against something hard, feeling sweat bead down my neck. Don’t see me, don’t see me, please don’t see me.

“Hey did you see that? Go check it out.” I feel my body stiffen. Had they seen me? I listen closely for the footsteps, and heave a sigh of relief when I hear them fading. Thank God. I creep away from my position, and onto what I’m hoping is a busy street. I hear a voice, and do my best to follow it back to the source.

I awkwardly shuffle my feet. “Uh excuse me sir. This may sound weird, but can you please take this blindfold off me?” I ask feeling a light blush creep up.

“Okay?” He asks unsure. “You’re not a runaway are you?” A runaway? That’s a first, though I suppose my appearance says otherwise.

“No I can assure you I’m not.” I feel him untie the knot from behind, and the blindfold falls to the ground. I have to squint so I don’t get blinded from the sudden light. I look around and my eyes widen in shock. Downtown!? How the hell did I end up here? I get a good look at the man in front of me. He wears a suit and tie, and appears to be on the phone. The look he’s giving me isn’t a pleasant one.

“If it’s not too much trouble, could you also take off the tape on my hands?”

He gives me a weird look. “And you’re sure you’re not a runaway?”

This is defiantly the last time I crash a cop party. I feel the strain on my arms release and rub my wrists. “Much better thank you sir.” He mumbles something about teenagers before walking off. I shrug and do the same. People pass by pointing, glaring, and some even laughing. I hang my head down in embarrassment, the sooner I get back the better. I start to jog, and make the trek back home… In nothing but my underwear.

wwwwww

I creep inside, and close the door as softly as possible. I quietly move upstairs to my room and change into some clothes before grabbing my backpack, and going back downstairs. Keys, keys. Where are my keys? Despite it being 7:50 a.m. I still know better than to be loud. Honestly I’m more scared now, then of running from those three cops. I actually wish it was them I was trying to avoid right now, but no. It was someone much, much worse.

“So you decided to come home.” A voice says.

I sigh, before turning back around to see an angry woman standing in the kitchen, dangling my keys in her hands. She has creamy mocha skin, and short jet black hair, much like my own. She wears a cooking apron, and doesn’t look in the best of moods.