Chapter 6: My Wallet was Stolen by a Monkey

Chapter 6

 My Wallet was Stolen by a Monkey

I smile as she approaches me. Maya was actually pretty good looking. Maybe it was the fact that I never really noticed it due to being in a relationship, or because I’m trying to force myself to move on. Either way it didn’t matter. I wave her over to an old bench near the entrance of the theatre.

She looks at me expectantly, waiting for me to speak. I feel my palms start to sweat. I didn’t expect this to be so hard. Honestly arguing with the cops was easier than this. She must have gotten tired of waiting, because she clears her throat loudly. “So you said you had a favor to ask?”

“Y-yeah, I don’t know if you’ve heard, but there’s a party going on this Saturday. I was wondering if you’d go with me. If you weren’t busy that is.” I finish. I groan inwardly. Why was I so nervous? In a way it almost felt like I was betraying Sandy by instantly trying to hit on Maya one week after our break up. Then I remember that technically she had me beat by six months so I wasn’t completely out of line.

On the other hand I did feel bad by using Maya like this. While I will admit I think she’s cute, I don’t see her in a romantic way. I assume the feeling is mutual on her side.  My thoughts are interrupted by her tapping my shoulder. “I’m sorry I zoned out there.” I say.

She shakes her head. “No it’s alright.” She blushes heavily. “I’m sorry but I’m busy with work that day.”

“Oh no… it’s alright.” I say, trying my hardest not to sound too disappointed. My face must have given something away, because she gives a sympathetic look.

“I’m really sorry,” she says gently.

I reassure her I’m fine before making up an excuse to leave. Even though I wasn’t technically asking her out, I still felt dejected. Not because she didn’t say yes, but because of everything that has lead up to this point. Luck wasn’t exactly on my side, though I really couldn’t blame it. I wouldn’t be so encouraged to join my side either.

I wander around the campus before heading to my car. I climb on top of the roof and gaze towards the sky. The sun blinds me at first but my eyes readjust. The warm weather brings a smile to my face despite all the problems the ruled my thoughts at the moment. Just lounging around sometimes really helps clear the mind. It makes me think that all of my issues will solve themselves, even though I know that’s not true, but it’s a nice sentiment.

I hear footsteps from somewhere behind me. “Yeah I’ll talk to you later Mom. Bye.”

My eyes widen as I recognize the voice. I look up and blue eyes meet brown ones, as Sandy stares intently at me. I return her stare with a glare and get inside my car. I hear her jog up as I try to start my car. Damn engine chooses now of all times not to start, I curse. She knocks on the window. “Can we please just talk?”

I roll my eyes getting annoyed. “For the tenth time and counting; no.”

She sighs dejectedly; moving strands a brown hair from her eyes. “You never gave me the chance to explain.”

“Gee shocker.” The engine finally spurs to life, and I pull out without a second thought.

wwwwww

I was going to drive downtown before heading home, but the thought of a certain hobo quickly changes my mind. Out of the blue I notice rain start to cover my windshield. I groan, of course it would start to rain. The rain begins to pick up and I’m forced to pull over at a nearby Starbucks. It’s rather annoying, the rain. It just seems to have this effect of forcing one in a bad mood.