Twists and Turns

“Marcie, Andy, you need to go pack your things. There’s been an accident.” The emotion immediately dropped from my face. Something seriously bad had happened. I hadn’t heard this tone in my grandfather’s voice since my dog ran away when I was six. Lame, yes, but that was like someone dying in my family at the time. They weren’t looking at me though. They were looking at Andy. He looked worried himself. I grabbed his wrist and pulled him lightly towards the room.

                “Come on. Let’s go pack.”  We packed in silence, but I noticed Andy wasn’t really paying attention to what he was putting in his bag and his hands were shaky. I offered to help but he just shook his head. The whole day he was placid and didn’t utter a word. It actually scared me a little. I was expecting him to tease me at least a little bit. On the plane ride home he fell asleep with his head in my lap. I knew he wasn’t feeling great, so I resisted the urge to push him off my lap.

                When we got home the concerned faces of my parents greeted us. I looked between them. My mom’s eyes were red and my dad simply looked grim. I couldn’t take not knowing what was happening anymore. “What happened?”

                “Andy, dear I’m sorry.” My mom looked at him in pity.

                He simply looked sad, but I knew he wanted to know what happened just as much as me. “Mom! What happened?”

                “His parents got in a terrible car crash. They are in the hospital. The doctors aren’t sure if they’re going to make it.” A tear escaped my mother’s eye. She cared too much for other people.

                Andy didn’t say a word; he just turned around and walked out of the house. I looked at my mom and my dad. They simply looked stony. I sighed and followed Andy out. I caught up to him as he got to his car. “Andy!” He looked down at me.

                “What?”

                “Are you- Will you- Can you- Do you- Are you going to be by yourself at your house?” My words got jumbled. I didn’t really know which question to ask.

                He shrugged, “Yeah.” He looked down.

                “Why don’t you stay here?”

                “I’d rather be home.”

                “Well,” I started as I opened the passenger door and got in the car, “I’m going with you then.”

                “Marcie, get out. You should be with your parents.”

                “Nope,” I said popping the p, “I’m not moving until we get to your house so you might as well just get in the car and drive.” I know it was out of character for me to voluntarily go somewhere with him, but his parents might not make it and I didn’t know what he would do. After all, I guess he really was my…. Friend. I sort of shivered as I thought it. Andy got into his car and drove to his house. The car ride was totally silent. When we got to his house he unlocked the door and went straight to his room.  I followed and sat on the bed beside him.

 “You okay?” He nodded. “Want me to turn the tv on?” He nodded again and I got up to turn it on. I left it on the channel it was and went back to his bed. I put my back against the wall and pulled my knees to my chest. Andy moved to sit beside me and we watched the show that was on. In the middle of it I heard a sniff and looked over at Andy who had tears running down his face. I frowned and turned to him. He just looked so sad I couldn’t help but hug him. He quietly cried on my shoulder and soon we both fell asleep on his bed.

---~<3~---

                Two months later Andy’s parents are released from the hospital. While they were in the hospital Andy stayed in the guest room of Marcie’s house. During this time they had become very good friends. Marcie’s parents announced that this would be their permanent home and Marcie began to make some friends, but she the only one she ever really hung out with was Andy. They did almost everything together, Marcie even got him into singing and even got him start a band.

                The next year Marcie got a boyfriend which Andy wasn’t too pleased about, but he hid it. Marcie and her boyfriend, Todd, got along very well. They went to homecoming together even though Marcie didn’t really want to. Andy was always suspicious of Todd. He was the player of the school, and al he had ever done in the past was get with a girl and then leaves her. Marcie believed, like most girls would want to, that she had changed Todd. She was wrong. Todd ended up leaving her with something worse than what even Andy expected.

---~<3~---

 Okay. This is not the end. Just wanted to clarify that. And sorry this is short.