I grabbed her arm, and pulled her shirt up a little more.

"You been cutting?" I looked at her.

She ripped her arm away, got her stuff and power walked out the library. I went after her.

"Kenya!" I yelled as she practically raced to her car. I ran after her. Mind you I was a football player, wide receiver at that, she was getting away from me. My job is to run.

I grabbed her arm.

"Let me go." She yelled.

I pulled up both her sleeves. It was only on there right tho. "What the hell is this shit?"

She yanked her arms back. I wouldn't let her go.

"Let me go Odell."

"No, what is this shit?"

Her arm looked like this.

"Let me go!" She yelled.

A female student came over. I let her go. Not wanting to cause a scene.

"You okay?" She asked K, looking at me.

"Yeah." K got in her car.

"K." I looked at her.

She closed the door and drove off.

---

"K." I said as I walked in her apartment.

"Get out." She yelled.

"No, not until we talk about this shit."

She reached for her phone to call the police. I snatched it.

"Give me my phone Odell."

"No. Not until we talk."

"Give me my fucking phone." She yelled.

I didn't move.

She tried to get it, but I instead held her as tight as I could into my body. She tried to break free, but I didn't let her go. She stopped resisting and just planted her head on my chest and broke down.

Hearing her cry out in like a wail of pain, crying from her gut, like a mother whose child had just been shot, was the saddest thing I've heard.

I kissed the top of her head and laid my head on top of hers. Rocking her back and forth, to calm her.

Once I finally calmed her, I told her to go change for bed and lay down. Meanwhile I pulled some things out of my bag we use when we were injured in football to cover and heal scars.

I sat on the bed and motioned for her to come toward me.

She had on a t-shirt so I was able to reach her arms. I told her to give me one arm at a time.

I wet a cotton pad with some witch hazel without Alcohol and blotted her scars.

"It burn?" I asked her .

She shook her head no. It shouldn't have because there was no alcohol. I then took some African Shea butter and rubbed it on the scars.

"This gon heal them and take the scarring away. Our trainer uses this on us, like if we have surgery scars or something."

I then wrapped her arm with gauze. The best healing environment for a wound despite popular belief, was to keep the wound covered. It heals faster.

I put the stuff on the dresser, went in the bathroom to wash my hands, then took off my clothes, except briefs and got in bed.

"Lay on top of me." I patted my chest.

"O, I'm okay."

"I don't care." I said sternly.

She rolled her eyes and laid on top of me, like how babies lay on top of their parents chest. She needed to feel me physically there for her. That I was there to protect and care for her. We'd been distant  for far too long. On top of that, I wanted to be able to feel if she got up in the middle of the night to cut herself.

I kissed her forehead. "I am here. Stop acting like you alone. And know whatever you need, Imma get and do."

She shook her head okay, as she was falling asleep.

I whispered a prayer over her and then I finally closed my eyes.

This would be a long journey for us. And I don't dare profess to be the expert, but I was going to make sure I kept my promise to Ms. Morris to take care of K and make sure she accomplished her dream.

Send all prayers and love our way you guys. 🙏🏿

What's going on in you guys minds? What's your feeling about the direction of their relationship and the story?

Is your interest still the same as it was at the beginning of the story?

How have you seen them grow for better or worse? How would you like to see them grow as they get closer to graduation and the draft?