Be Alright

Kenya POV-

After the conversation with O, I tried to take in what he was saying. I didn't agree with it all, but I was learning the meaning of the word compromise. If we were going to work as a couple, I had to give a little. Even if it was outside of my comfort zone.

Now his ass was going to have to compromise to, but I would take the initiative. I looked at my watch. He should be here soon and I straightened everything so it would be ready when he came. I stood up and looked with satisfaction at what I had done.

I decided to take two hours from studying tonight and celebrate him with a picnic. Nothing fancy I did have an exam in the morning, but enough to show him I heard him.

I saw the headlights pull into the parking space

I saw the headlights pull into the parking space. I had used the park a couple of blocks from my apartment.

He got out and walked over. I stood up.

"Meeting you half-way." I moved my hand like I was an usher and showed him what I had did.

He smirked. "It's corny but I like it."

"You are the last one to talk about someone being corny. Mr. 1 to my 3."

"I'll take my 1 back."

"You can have your 1."

I was going to sit down, he pulled me into his body from behind with his left arm around my stomach and softly kissed my neck.

"Thank you baby." He smirked.

"You're welcome. Hope it lives up to your half-way standards." I said sarcastically.

He chuckled and let me go. "See there you go. Why you always got to be so combative?"

"Oh yeah I forgot you want this to be the 50s. Enjoy  today cause this is not going to be habit."

"Now I see why y'all black independent women single. Y'all don't know how to treat the black man." He said grabbing some grapes I had in a bowl.

I hit his hand. "Can you wait? Damn." I moved the bowl. "And no the black man expects his girl to be another mama and we are not interested in raising adults."

"All I know is, my 1 better learn how to treat her 3, unless I'm taking my number back." He said chewing and reaching for some chips.

"Odell would you wait?  Damn." I took the bag of chips and moved them.

"Why do I have to wait at my picnic?" He said chewing.

"Because I have this planned out. So don't interrupt my plans."

He held his head back and chuckled. "Okay proceed." He folded his arms ready to listen.