Thirty-three

Sadly, Dylan's prediction hadn't come true. 

After the movie was over, Riley had said that she needed to get home. Apparently she had needed to get home early because the next day she would be going on a trip with her parents. Which meant that I wouldn't see her. In days. Ugh.

So now, me and Dylan were hanging out at Dylan's house, in his backyard. I was always jealous of his backyard, because he had a huge round pool, an awesome treehouse we had built when we were kids, and a couple acres of grass where you could fool around. Dylan's parents were loaded, because his father was a CEO of a famous company and his mother was a fashion designer. They were both hugely succesful, which was why they had so much money and could afford a mansion with a big ass backyard. I still couldn't wrap my head around it.

"Are you still thinking about Riley? Man, you're whipped," Dylan said as he arrived, throwing a can of beer at me. I caught it and opened it instantly. It was so hot outside, so we were both sitting with our legs dangling in the pool. The water was cool, which was a huge relief.

"Actually, I wasn't," I told him, after taking a sip. Rolling my eyes, I turned to look at him. "As if you never think about Melissa."

Dylan actually blushed when I said that, and hid it with his beer can. I smirked. "And you're telling me I'm whipped."

Dylan and Melissa had begun dating a couple of days ago, and it seemed like playboy Dylan was actually in love. It was kind of hilarious seeing him stumble, because he was always so composed and confident. Ha, how the tables had turned.

"Dude," he began, " -  I have no idea what you're talking about."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah. It kinda sucks though, that they're both gone this weekend."

Dylan nodded and took another sip. "Yeah, I think Melissa would have liked Riley. They're both sassy as hell," he chuckled. I chuckled with him. Yeah, Riley was definitely sassy. 

Sighing, I put my can next to me on the pavement. "I'm kind of worried about Riley, though."

"What? Why?" he asked, also putting his can down and looking at me in confusion. "I thought Riley was fine. Well... she looked fine to me at least."

"I know, I know. It's just... there's something going on with her. This trip with her parents came out of nowhere and before she left... she was acting all strange. As if she's hiding something from me."

Dylan made a waving gesture. "Man, it's probably nothing. Girls are just weird like that sometimes."

I picked up my can and chugged the rest of my beer down. "Yeah," I said, not too convinced.

"Maybe you just need to cool down," Dylan said casually,  picking at his nails. I frowned, opening my mouth to reply, but before I could, he had pushed me into the pool. Once I resurfaced, I grabbed his legs and dragged him in as well, before he could do anything about it.

"Asshat," I grumbled, which made him laugh.

"I love you too," he cooed. I splashed water at him, which made him laugh and swim away from me.

Even though Dylan's words had reassured me a little bit, I still hadn't been able to shake the feeling that something was going on with Riley. And I had been determined to find out what.