Taking the Next Step

Chapter 36: Justin

Leo woke me up this morning with a pillow to the face. And I wasn't even mad. I was too happy to be angry about the rude awakening.

"You were smiling in your sleep," Leo commented as I sat up, "It was weird."

"It's weird for me to be happy?" I chuckled.

"You're never that happy when you're sleeping," he eyed me suspiciously, "Or first thing in the morning. Are you an alien disguised as my brother? Did you kill my real brother? Did you eat him? Because that'd be gross."

"No," I laughed and rolled my eyes good-naturedly, "I'm just in a good mood. Now hurry up and get ready. You don't want to be late."

"Actually..." he started.

"You don't want to be late," I repeated firmly, shaking my head at his antics, smile still on my face.

"Fine," he sighed, hopping up and running out of the room, calling over his shoulder, "But if you are an alien, don't eat me. I probably taste terrible."

"Not an alien!" I called after him, standing up and getting dressed.

It's strange to think how different things were now from just a few months ago - even a few days ago. Being in love - and knowing that Piper loved me back - made everything better somehow. Rainy days didn't bother me and sunny days were more beautiful than ever. 

I was truly happy and more inspired than I'd been in my entire life. I could write entire songs about Piper's laugh - the lilting sound, the curve of her mouth, the crinkling around her eyes, the way her eyes would shine...

I shook myself out of my thoughts and rushed to finish getting ready before Leo and I were late. As soon as we were both ready, I was hurrying out the door with Leo - nearly running into my dad as he came inside.

"Running a bit behind schedule, aren't you, son?" he raised a brow at me, "You'll never make it at law school with that kind of behavior."

"That's okay," I blurted before I knew what I was saying, "I don't want to go to law school."

"Well, I guess your mother's getting her way after all then," he chuckled, "Though med school won't be any more lenient."

"Uh... not exactly," I said, deciding I might as well tell him what I really thought before I lost my nerve again. I nodded for Leo to go on ahead, which he did with a dramatic, irritated sigh.

"What do you mean?" he said, expression turning more serious.

"I'm going to be a musician or teach music," I said, feeling like breathing a sigh of relief when I finally got the words out, "That's what I really want... what I've really wanted since I was a kid."

"I see..." he replied, expression unreadable, "And what exactly brought on this change?"

"Well, like I said, it's not exactly a change," I answered, "This is what I've always thought... but there's this girl... and she made me take a long hard look at my plans and who I am. And she helped me realize what really matters to me."

"A girl?" he asked, "You changed for some girl?"

"She's not just some girl and I didn't change," I said, feeling a bit of frustration at his lack of understanding, "Look, Dad, I should really get going, I don't want to be late for school." I turned to head out the door, but he stopped me with a hand on my shoulder.

"Son..." he said softly, "I'm sorry, it's just a bit difficult for me to process it all. Why don't you bring your girlfriend over for dinner this weekend and maybe we can all discuss it. I want to understand, really I do."