The Way It Used to Be

Chapter 33: Piper

I'd missed this. Relaxing on vacation and spending time with friends. I hadn't done anything like this since my mom got sick. Everything had been so perfect - even Steven scowling at me half the night hadn't ruined my mood. I was starting to think nothing could.

My mistake.

After dinner, we all settled in front of the fire to talk.

"So, Elena," Lindsey asked jokingly, "Did you like the three helpings of spaghetti you had tonight?"

She flushed a bit, "It was delicious, but I think I may have had a little too much. I'm not feeling so well." I narrowed my eyes a bit. There had to be something more to it than that. Come to think of it, she had been eating more at lunch lately.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Lindsey replied, looking concerned, "I didn't know. Do you need anything?"

"She's fine," Steven said, "She doesn't need anything." Now it was my turn to scowl at him.

"I can speak for myself, Steven."

"So you needed something then?" he raised a brow at her.

"No, I don't," she answered in a clipped tone.

"Then why bother complaining?" he responded.

"Because you do this all the time!" she snapped, "You limit communication because you're so afraid that someone will find out what's really there. You can be so sweet and charming, but the moment I try to dig deeper, you shut down. I want to talk about him, Steven, but you NEVER will."

"No," he said in a dangerously calm voice, "I won't. I never will and you know what? That's my business, not yours."

"Last time I checked, we're in a relationship," Elena retorted, "And relationships are built on communication, so if you won't communicate with me then it sure as hell is my business."

"I don't want to talk about this."

"You never want to talk about ANYTHING!" she yelled. She surprised all of us with her outburst, even herself from the look on her face. "I... I don't feel well. I'm going to bed."

Without another word, she turned and went up the stairs. I wanted to follow after her, but we'd been friends for long enough that I knew better. She needed space when she was upset.

"What's wrong with me?" Steven muttered, shoulders slumped as the anger drained out of him. Funny... I was just wondering the same thing.

"Steven..." Andy started.

"Not now," he answered, "I'll talk to you in the morning, but... not now. I'll see you tomorrow." He followed Elena's path up the stairs before turning to go the other way down the hallway.

"I'm going to go up and show Elena where her room is," Ian said a few moments later.

"I want to go with you," Lindsey insisted, "I feel like I should apologize again."

"You didn't know," Ian murmured.

"I know," she said, smiling softly at him, "But I want to. Besides, I'm tired from that long car ride. I need to get to bed." Ian nodded, putting an arm around her shoulders and leading her upstairs.

"It is getting kind of late," Andy admitted, looking to Liv, "What do you think?"

"No estoy cansado," Liv answered, yawning hugely.

"Liar," Andy chuckled, "You speak even more Spanish when you're tired. Come on, let's get you to bed."

"No estoy mintiendo, idiota," Liv said irritably, "Y no me voy a mover."