Chapter XXIX

"There's no way we can make it to Hogwarts in these conditions, let's face it," Harry said, glancing over at Draco, who was flattening the collar of an emerald suit jacket. There was still a glimmer of hope in Harry as he said, "now, I know they're expecting it, but the only reasonable way to find brooms or floo powder or even a damn flying car, I don't care how, but the only way we can get access to one of those is going back to London in Diagon Alley."

"But Harry, they'll be looking for us there, that's why we went this direction instead, to throw them off," Draco stated, gesturing with his delicate hands as he tugged at the sleeves, the crisp snap of new fabric slicing through the air. There wasn't one second where Harry didn't notice his pure beauty, and anyone who didn't see it must be blind. However, Draco was a difficult boy, and his habits of buying suits while unentertained would have to change. Harry would never be able to keep up, and he wouldn't spend his parents' hard earned money on something as replaceable as a suit. Draco's suit, on the other hand. It's not like Harry minded splurging on his expensive boyfriend, but he wouldn't be able to sooner or later.

Draco turned around in the mirror and inspected the jacket. "This one is nice," he said. "Sadly, we're so poor we can't afford that gorgeous one," he motioned to the brilliant suit in the muggle shop window.

"You're spending a large sum of the last of our money on a suit jacket that's just nice?" Harry grumbled. "Don't be a prat Draco, your Malfoy is showing."

Draco raised his chin, pointed to the ceiling. "I apologise for my prattish behaviour," he spoke formally, as if he was trained to do so.

"Don't mock me, Draco. Your Malfoy comes out when you shop."

Draco shrugged and carried the suit jacket out of the store, carried in a black suit bag. Harry followed in pursuit of Draco, who rushed quickly down the streets as if he was being target by a pickpocket, his suit bag swishing behind him as he walked.

Even though it was his Draco, he still could be a royal arse sometimes. Harry wished that the Malfoy part of him wasn't so prominent during these rare occasions, but he knew that nothing was going to change that except Draco himself.

***

Ron awoke in the middle of the night, his eyesight foggy and his head cloudy. He headed toward the Gryffindor common room, hoping to clear his head. It seemed like no one slept these days. 

His prediction was right, for he found Hermione staring wide eyed at a piece of parchment at a table in the common room. "Hermione?" Ron asked, worried. "What are you doing up? It's the middle of the night." 

Hermione looked up in a daze, as if she had fallen into a trance with her eyes glued open. "Oh- is it? I hadn't noticed," She said, her voice tired and weak. Ron gathered her papers into a stack, closed her ink bottle, and tucked all of it under one hand as he used the other to help Hermione up as he led her into her common room. Hermione sleepily followed him, held up by Ron's unused arm. He set her parchment onto her nightstand and tucked her into her bed.

"Goodnight Hermione," he whispered softly, and planted a kiss on her cheek. He really wished that Harry and Draco would be safe, and return to Hogwarts soon.

***

"Hey," Harry confronted Draco as they sat down on the bed in the muggle hotel room. Draco had hung his new suit jacket up in the closet, staring tauntingly at him as he turned away to talk to Harry. "has your father ever... taught you apparation skills?"

"Harry..." Draco trailed off as he laid down, his eyelids fluttering slightly. "I can't," His eyes were closed, and maybe on the outside he was peaceful, but on the inside, his mind was in turmoil. "Lucius only taught me the basics, not nearly enough to perform the act."

"Dray," Harry laid down next to him and reached for his hand. "I've been thinking and thinking, and unless we find another wizard, broom, or floo powder, this is the only way."

"You need to think outside the box," Draco laughed.

"How so?" Harry asked, perplexed.

"Well Merlin knows that I'm the last person to ask for knowledge about muggles, but they have to have a way of traveling about, don't they?" Draco smirked. 

Of course. Harry had lived as a wizard for so long that he forgot that sometimes muggle technology works just as well. "You mean like a train or a bus," Harry smiled. "Wait, bus..." he froze.

"Bus?" Draco asked.

"The Knight Bus! Of course, why didn't I remember," Harry mentally scolded himself. "Emergency transport for wizards and witches in need,"

"That's brilliant! But what if someone works for Voldemort there?" Draco grimaced.

"Polyjuice potion?"

"But that takes a month, and we don't have that time."

"Muggle disguise?" Harry giggled. "I'm not joking, that could work."

"Muggle disguise it is," Draco laughed in agreement.

"Tomorrow, though. I'm exhausted." Harry cuddled up closer to Draco. He kissed his pretty pink lips (no matter how girly it sounded, it was true. He'd never tell Draco that of course), and they went under the blankets and fell asleep listening to each other's soothing heartbeats.