Chapter IX

****current year, year 5*****
"We're almost there, I believe." Draco said, glancing back at Harry as they bolted down the long, twisting stone corridor down to the dungeons. "Harry, come on!"

Peeves was pointlessly lingering in the hallway, but any false move and Peeves would see them, or most certainly hear them. "I'm coming, Draco, but I tripped earlier and now my foot feels all funny."

"Excuses, you old slowpoke, hurry up!" Draco smiled as he held out his slender, pale, hand for Harry to take ahold of. Draco had wanted to hold Harry's hand for quite some time, and now felt exactly like the right time to do so. Draco flashed his brilliant grin back at Harry as they ran hand in hand down the corridor. Their footsteps echoed quietly, and with each tap, Harry swore that Peeves would hear them. "Ah, here we are." Draco said and released Harry's hand from his own, and quietly rapped on Snape's door.

"What in the name of Merlin-" a very grumpy looking, disheveled Snape cracked the door open, and the first person he saw was Harry. "Mister Potter, I do hope you have an excellent reason for why you're up at 3 am and rapping on my door."

Draco stepped forward. "Severus,"

"Draco, might I ask you why you have led Potter to me?" Snape sneered, and Harry wanted to melt right on the spot.

"It's about Umbridge," was all that Draco said, and Snape led them through the doorway. Draco graciously sat himself down on an armchair, and Harry desperately wanted to sit on his lap, but he sighed and sat next to Draco. Professor Snape sat across from them.

"Don't expect me to offer tea." Snape scowled, and adjusted his robes over what Harry presumed was his nightclothes.

"Sev," Draco started, "Umbridge is out of control. Now I don't expect you to help Harry, but I must insist on the welfare of this school." Draco then grabbed Harry's arm so suddenly that Harry retaliated in surprise. He rolled up Harry's sleeve to show Snape the scars from detention, and he saw the goosebumps rise on Harry's arm as Draco held his arm. Draco teased Harry by subtly running his hand down Harry's arm, and Harry shivered. By the looks of it, Harry thought, Snape noticed it, but decided not to comment.

Snape looked very serious when he inspected Harry's scarred hand. "This is dark magic." He muttered. "It cannot be cured."

"Why not?" Draco asked, and Snape stood up. "Because some magic is better left unused. Bad things could happen if one used a spell from the old book."

"Wait, old book?" Harry chipped in, now very interested in where this conversation was heading.

"There are older spells than time, Potter. Only a few of them have been preserved, and every wizard who used them went horribly corrupt. Some even died from it. One of them, a particularity dangerous one, can remove minor irreversible curses." Snape stated, and went over to his personal library. "It might possibly fade, over time. How many times have you used her quill?"

"Too much. I haven't a clue how many times I've written 'I must not tell lies.' I lost count."

"Then, I'm afraid, your chances are done for. It will remain forever, and one day, the curse will activate."

"What curse?" Harry and Draco said simultaneously.

"Isn't it obvious? Use what's left of your brain that's suffocated in that mob of black hair of yours."

"You must not tell lies." Draco blinked, and it dawned on Harry. "Harry, say a lie."

"I don't want you to murder Umbridge and she's an excellent teacher." Harry shrugged, and that made Draco giggle a little.

"Guess it's not yet." Draco smiled, and stood up, offering his hand to help Harry up as well. "what are we going to do about Umbridge?"

"I will transfer Mister Potter's detention to my supervision, but other than that, I'm quite sure that I have no say in the matter." Professor Snape opened the door for them.

"Thank you, Severus." Draco dipped his head as he headed for the door. "And one more thing," he added, "when will Professor Dumbledore return?"

"I have no idea." Snape replied with a sneer as he slammed the door in their faces.

"Well, that worked, what did I tell you?" Draco smirked as they headed toward the Slytherin dormitories.

"Dray," Harry pouted, "no PDA, at least for now, and especially not in front of Snape."

Draco smiled at this. "Fine, but you should know, Peeves is gone." Draco smiled playfully as he cornered Harry against the wall. "So there's no PDA."

"It's almost four in the morning!" Harry complained.

"Oh, stop making excuses." Draco taunted as he neared Harry. He could feel Harry's breath now, they were so close, and Draco's lips almost brushed Harry's but suddenly, "Well, goodnight Harry!" Draco laughed as he skipped away.

"Oi, Dray, that's not fair!" Harry exclaimed, and ran after him. Draco stopped skipping and ran face first back into Harry, and his lips collided into Harry's.

He let go of Harry slowly. "Goodnight, Harry."