Chapter XXII

Oh my goodness! Sorry for the long wait! You know, school and stuff..... I have no excuse.

***

After Harry had showered, he packed up clothes and water bottles and all sorts of supplies they'd need for escaping into an enchanted backpack he found in Draco's room. He piled them on the rug behind the bed, hidden from view if someone were to come in.

After a week and a half of not showering, being clean felt indescribably nice. He wore a green dress shirt of Draco's with some black jeans, and although he looked like a Slytherin, he didn't mind. He was about to make his way to Draco's ginormous closet full of hidden trinkets when a floorboard dislodged under his feet, and he pulled it up, finding a small compartment. It was filled with galleons and little trinkets that, by the looks of it, Draco had saved over the years, and he took out the galleons to put them in the backpacks so they could get by. When he reached to put the board back in place, a certain thing caught his eye. It was a picture of all four of them, laughing in their third year.

They all looked so little, and in the picture, third-year Harry and third-year Draco turned to smile at each other quickly. He grinned at the photo and stuffed it in the endless backpack.

Just as he was zipping it up, the door swung open quickly, and in came Draco Malfoy, grinning like he just won the house cup. He held up a wand, and shut the door silently before running over to Harry and kissing him with joy. "I did it, Harry!" He whispered, and explained how the love potion failed, and that he had to injure himself to trick Charlie. Then, after a quick petrificus totalus, he caught him before he fell to the ground and made a big raucous, he carried him in to he bed to make it look like he was sleeping.

"So you kissed him, eh?" Harry wrinkled his nose in displeasure, but Draco pressed his forehead against his own.

"I hated every milisecond of it." He grimaced, and Harry shrugged in acceptance. Draco kissed him in the nose, and then looked over to the backpack. "Oh good, you've packed. By the way, I've been snitching food ever since I.. well, became a Deatheater, and I've saved it up here," He pulled a box out of the closet, filled with food. He shoved the entire box in the enchanted backpack, and scratched behind his ear.

"I think that's all we need. So, we need to get to the attic and grab our wands, and I'm pretty sure there's a trap door we can escape out of up there." Draco nodded,  grabbing the backpack and extending his hand for Harry to take it. "If we're lucky, there might even be brooms!"

***

Their walk was filled with a terrified aura- for the attic entrance was all the way across Malfoy Manor, and it was nearing the morning. Harry and Draco clasped cold hands together as they headed up there, and Draco held Charlie's wand in his right hand, prepared for anyone to come his way.

They were nearing the attic without any incidents, and Harry and Draco pressed against the wall behind them to round the corner. "There's someone guarding the door," Draco hissed, hearing the guard's breathing.

Hem hem. The guard muttered, and Draco reared away from the door, back toward Harry. He flicked his head in the direction of her and mouthed, "what is Umbitch doing here?"

Harry shrugged as if to say, it's not surprising.

Draco raised Charlie's wand, hand shaking slightly as he whispered, "Confundus," and Umbridge looked up in a confused haze. Next, he mumbled "incendio," and sent one side of Umbridge's sleeves on fire. They had to resist a giggle as Umbridge looked down at her flaming sleeve, and began jumping hysterically not knowing what to do.

So now it was proven- Umbridge really does work for the Dark Lord.

Harry and Draco slipped past her, opening the door with a simple alohamora, and headed up the attic steps, locking it behind them, and shoving a shitload of furniture in from the top of the stairs so they couldn't open it. They rushed up the stairs, silently, because they were aware that any creak that they made would be heard by anyone on the floor below them.

"See, Harry? There's the trapdoor." Draco treaded lightly on the creaking wooden floor, and pushed hard on the door heading to the rooftops. He grunted in effort, and soon the door popped open with a loud shudder and the entire door fell off, knocking onto the roof below it and slamming against a shutter of a window, tumbling to the ground.

"Draco!" Harry hissed, his voice frantic.

"Merlin, I'm sorry!" He whimpered, and began searching the room for anything they'd need, hearing the alarmed shouts of the deatheaters downstairs.

Harry's heart raced as he tore through the room, searching for one particular thing. A broom. Draco would take care of the wands.

"Accio wands!" Draco muttered, but nothing happened. He looked frantic, and he ran to the piles of artifacts and clutter. Boxes upon boxes were stacked up, and one particular box looked the right size for some wands. Draco kneeled on the table and pulled the box out from the stack. The voices neared the attic door, and Harry pushed mire and more furniture in front of it, until it was a full on barricade.

The box was ornate and wooden, the carvings delicate and the size perfect. Draco unlocked it, opened it carefully, and there sat....

A set of quills.

Groaning in frustration, Draco tore through the pile of boxes. "Dray, give me the wand!" Harry exclaimed and he caught the wand with one nimble hand. "Accio brooms!" He cried, and thank merlin for this, for one measly old broom came hobbling out from a cluttered corner.

"Good enough!" Draco grinned, snatching the wand back, but became frantic as the voices argued loudly from behind the barricaded door.

"Let me take care of this," a voice hissed through the walls.

"Reducto."

Suddenly a loud explosion filled the air and all of the furniture had been blown away. A crowd of deatheaters were standing behind it, Bellatrix and Voldemort in front, and in Bellatrix's hands held their two wands.

"Draco, come on!" Harry exclaimed, grabbing the broom by the door and hopping on as Draco came near, grabbing his hand to pull him up. As they jumped out the window onto the broomstick, Draco shouted, "expelliarmus!" And the wands shot out of Bellatrix's hands. Just as they began to fly away on that rickety broom, Draco screamed "accio," the wands flew into his hands, and they rode as far as they could away from Malfoy Manor.

That is, until the broom broke, and they were free-falling through the sky.