Chapter XVI

He shivered, the air cold and unfriendly. He could tell that the dark lord was near, but he couldn't see him yet. He waited on the other side of the door, his breath ragged and scarce. Whispers echoed from the other side of the door, hushed and snakelike, and he bristled from terror. 

Soon, the door opened, and Narcissa stood in the doorway. "Remember, if you refuse his service, you will die." She murmured as she led him inside. There were at least twenty deatheaters in there, and some of them, Draco even recognized from Hogwarts. There was even a bloody Ravenclaw there! His parents must be deatheaters, Draco supposed. At the end of the table sat the dark lord,  more horrific than anyone could imagine, his eyes slits and skin almost like a snake.

"Come, Draco." The dark lord's voice hissed, and Draco's feet nearly crumpled beneath him. His mother held him firmly though, and a chair was pulled out for him to sit next to the dark lord. 

"y-yes, my lord." Draco stuttered, and Voldemort laughed, heartless and empty. 

"No need for formalities. Now tell me, why do you think you are worthy to serve me?" His voice slithered with a hint of malice.

"I can do you what you require of me." Draco's voice didn't waver this time.

"If I ask you to kill the boy who lived, would you do it?" He asked.

"I would, my lord. I have only been deceiving him, tricking him into thinking I love him." Lies. He loved Harry with all his heart. The words burned on Draco's tongue. He would die for Harry.

"Excellent," his lips turned upwards into a cruel smile, and then he rose from his seat. "I think it's time, Draco."

***

Harry woke up, cold and alone. "Draco?" he whispered, his teeth chattering. He crawled over to the door, and hissed in pain at his scar as he neared it. He could tell that Voldemort was nearby.

Was Draco with him?

Harry begged that it wasn't so. 

***

The dark lord had Draco stand with him. His hand reached out and grasped Draco's left arm, the nails digging into his skin. "If you refuse his service, you will die," his mother's voice echoed throughout his head. He didn't even realize what he was doing. He hardly even knew that right at that moment, he would be receiving the dark mark. He would die before he served the dark lord. And he would die protecting Harry. The dark lord muttered a spell, and the tip of his wand burned into Draco's skin. The mark formed, writhing like it was trapped under his skin. He was too numb to feel the pain of it, but he knew that if he wasn't numb, he would be screaming of agony. His body refused to move. His heart felt heavy with betrayal, but outside, he just stood there, silent as the grave.

"You are strong, Draco. You will make a good deatheater." He released Draco's arm, his wand dropping, and he put it back into his robe pocket. He turned to Bellatrix. "Return him to the boy who lived."

Bellatrix dipped her head, and brought Draco back to the dungeons, and after he left the room, he started sobbing uncontrollably.

***

"Draco," Harry cried as Bellatrix pushed Draco through the door. The door slammed, locking from the inside. Draco collapsed next to him, and Harry caressed his face and kissed him quickly, wiping away his tears. "Draco, please tell me you're okay."

Draco shook his head, his face red and puffy. "T-they were going to k-kill you, H-harry." He stuttered, hiccuping. "I did it to save you."

"No," Harry breathed, and reached to pull up Draco's sleeves. The dark mark slithered under Draco's skin, like it was watching them. The parts of his arm surrounding the dark mark were red and swollen, and nail marks dug into his forearm. "You stupid boy." He cried as he pulled Draco toward him into an embrace. "You stupid, stupid boy."

"Harry, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." Draco sobbed, the tears soaking Harry's shirt, and Harry cupped his cheeks firmly with his hands as he wiped more tears away.

"Why did you do that? They're going to kill me anyway."

"I'm so scared," was all that Draco said, and Harry presumed he was in a state of shock. He brought his face to his, gently touching their foreheads. 

"Draco," Harry said, hushed as he let Draco lean his head on his shoulder. He let Draco cry for a long time, and he cried with him, until Draco fell asleep in his arms.

Hours passed, and Harry still had his arms wrapped protectively around Draco. The dark mark on Draco's forearm was still showing, the blackness contrasting from Draco's pure white skin drastically. Draco soon woke up, and blinked sleepily before realizing the weight upon his shoulders. He looked up to see Harry, his eyes also red from crying. "Harry," Draco whispered hoarsely, his voice cracked from sobbing. 

Harry looked down at him sadly, and stroked his cheek. "When we get out of here, you will have that mark for the rest of your life."

"I took this mark because there was a chance for saving you. I don't care about myself anymore, Harry, all I care about is you, and we're going to get out of here." And with that, Draco stood up and took a wobbly step toward the outer wall, falling. 

"I love this motivation you have, Draco, but it's going to have to wait until later." Harry smiled faintly, and went over to Draco. 

"I have an idea." Draco murmured as he laid next to Harry. He whispered his idea into Harry's ear, and Harry grimaced. 

"I hate it," he exclaimed, shaking with anger as he sat up.

"I've been thinking about this plan since I went up there, and it's the only one that even has the slightest chance of succeeding." Draco said, and glanced sadly over at Harry's disgusted face.

"Please don't, Draco. I couldn't bear it if you did that."

"It's the only way." Draco trembled, resting his fingers below Harry's chin. He kissed him slowly at first, and then he began fiercely running his tongue in Harry's mouth, digging his fingers into his hair. Harry started crying again, and Draco tasted the wet tears as he kissed him. 

"It's the only way," Harry agreed, and they laid back down and watched the sky get dark through the tiny barred window.