Chapter III

**** ugh! This school wifi is a complete piece of... Anyway, it deleted this chapter so now I have to rewrite it....:(*********

****current year, year 5***
As morning came, every Gryffindor boy who had witnessed last night's unfortunate event kept it all quiet. They didn't want any Slytherins spreading rumours and making fools out of all of them.

"Hey, Harry..." Ron began as he saw Harry coming down the great hall. "I've been telling everyone to keep quiet about what happened last night... Could you do that too?"

"Of course, Ron. I wouldn't humiliate you on purpose." Harry replied, sitting next to Hermione as Ron sighed in relief.

"Well, I think that takes care of everyone." Ron said.

Hermione suddenly thudded her goblet against the table. "There's the new Defense Agaimst the Dark Arts teacher. She's absolutely horrid." She grumbled, glancing at their new teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge, who had just walked into the Great Hall.

"She was at my trial." Harry suddenly said noticing Hermione's gaze, but not realising that indeed, Umbridge had glared mockingly at Harry as she walked by, the heels of her shoes clicking against the tile.

"Who?" A voice appeared behind Harry, and he jumped, dropping his fork.

"Umbridge. She's up to something, she is." Ron glared, and solemnly shoved a forkful of blueberry pancakes into his mouth.

"Hmm, juicy gossip about at the Gryffindor table I suppose," Draco murmured, gazing into his now full plate of scrambled eggs. "So Ronald, have you successfully hidden away the secret of what happened last night?"

Ron spluttered, almost spitting out his pumpkin juice. "H-how do you...?"

"I have my ways, Weasley." Draco snapped, and then added, "and if you really want to know, it was Dean Thomas blabbering about it, and I happened to overhear."

Ron turned pale. "Dean!" He rushed away from his now empty plate of food to go lecture Dean Thomas.

Draco shrugged and began to pick at the remaining amount of his breakfast. "I have no idea what happened, actually, I just know that something did happen."

"Draco!" Hermione shrieked, and playfully slapped him on his arm. "What happened, exactly?" Hermione asked curiously to Harry as soon as Ron had disappeared from their sight.

Harry recalled every detail, even the fact that Seamus screamed and jumped up from his bed.

"Ugh! No wonder he wanted to keep it quiet!" Hermione shook her head in disgust and amusement as well. She clutched her books and left the Great Hall for her first class.

"Come on, Potter, let's get to Divination." Draco whisked Harry away from the Gryffindor table now that everyone else had started to leave for their first class.

*******year 2****

"Look Draco, I appreciate you wanting to come with us, but you know that, well, Hagrid doesn't exactly like you very much, especially after... Well, you know..." Ron trailed off.

"S'alright," Draco forced a smirk. "Besides, Crabbe and Goyle can keep me company. After all, it is rather fun demolishing them in wizard's chess."

With that, Draco walked away, quickly, but Harry knew he was a bit hurt. "Ron!" Harry scolded, "Hagrid would have been fine with it, and you know it!"

Ron looked upset, and Harry felt bad for yelling at him. "Look, this is our second year at Hogwarts, and I know that Draco's our really good friend and all, and sure, he can play a wicked game of wizard's chess, but I just can't shake this bad feeling that I have... and really, it's not really anything about him at all."

Ron looked at Harry sympathetically. Harry sighed, giving in. "Alright Ron, but we shouldn't do it again."

_____

After Harry and Ron had left with the invisibility cloak, Draco had sighed sadly to himself. Crabbe and Goyle rushed up to him, their arms full of sweets, and Draco immediately his his emotions.

"Oi, Draco!" Crabbe had called through a mouthful of cake.

"What do you want, Crabbe?" Draco replied softly as they approached Draco's side.

"Let's go prank someone, I've been bored lately." Crabbe whined.

Goyle piped up as well, "Hey Draco, I thought that you would be happy now that all of the mudbloods are getting petrified." Crabbe and Goyle were just too dense to see that Draco never really wanted the muggle-born to get petrified, especially since Hermione was his good friend.

"I have a migraine," Draco pretended to look faint." I'm going to head back to the dormitory. Go prank someone if you want, I don't care."

As Crabbe and Goyle hurried away, Draco neared the library. I need some time alone, Draco thought, as he sat in an armchair and pulled out a book.

As he was reading, a bright reflection shined into his eye, making him exclaim.

"What the bloody...." Draco froze in his tracks as he saw that it was a mirror. And holding the mirror, was a hand, and it lay unmoving.

Draco rushed over to the aisle, and stopped short when he saw who was holding the mirror.

"...Hermione?" He whispered, turning pasty. He ran over to her side, and never left, waiting for a teacher to hear him yelling in fear for his friend.