022

dandelions have always been hoseok's favorite. when he was just a small child, he would play in the garden by himself. not because he didn't have any friends, oh he had some of those!

but rather, his parents had strict rules against bringing other kids into the house. they were so convinced every child (more likely the child's family) was a serial killer or something.

of course, hoseok thought this was nonsense.

he had a little sister. her name was jieun. it meant will. purpose. ambition she will never complete.

they would always play in their little backyard garden. their little gateway from the fear. from their parents arguments and abusive speech.

their bond was stronger than most siblings. they only had each other while the bonds of their other friends faltered.

dandelion, falter....
but do not disappear.

"hey jieun, put this in your hair. you'll look pretty!" little hoseok beamed, showing off a crooked smile when he handed her a fully bloomed dandelion.

and she did as so. "ahh, you look so cute... i'm glad i get to be your big brother" he giggled.

"thank you oppa~ you look cute too! once you get past your face looking like a smashed pancake."

hoseok's face turned red. not out of flusterment or embarrassment. but just, because.

their mother emerged from the house. through the door that brings them back into their reality from their dream.

mrs.jung wasn't ugly but she wasn't pretty either. she often bleached her hair, causing it to become a crippled texture rather than its sleek black orginal form. it was currently in a sea dyed blonde and her eyebrows didn't match,

it contrasted. just like how hoseok, jieun, and nayeon will.

mrs.jung explained that 'daddy wanted to have a playdate with them at work' and that they're 'gonna spend the rest of the day with daddy'.

and so they went. a thirty minute drive to muan.

their mom just left them there because thought seven (and a half) hoseok would be smart enough to take him and his sister to daddy's office.

that's where he met nayeon. ten years old and strong. with brown hair because she secretly tried to dye her hair which went wrong and got grounded for seven months. her bunny teeth still remained then.

nayeon was with her mom at the time, that didn't stop her from quickly befriending the two.

they played around while nayeon's mom waited at the front desk for whatever.

eventually nayeon decided to walk the pair to the elevators.

so young, so happy. too much adrenaline pumping through their bodies to read the 'out of order' sign on the door.

it happened so quickly. jieun went in first and the doors suddenly shot closed. her shirt got stuck in the doors and the elevator sprung up to the top.

she got beheaded then and there. in front of her brother, her oppa, her protector and best friend. in front of a stranger, who's father and mother would be soon convicted for this.

the remains of her body were crushed when the elevator slammed into the ceiling of the building.

hoseok said nayeon was at fault. that she pushed jieun inside and killed her.

the police 'belived' it, a bribe probably from hoseok's father.

it was so messy and unjust.

long story short,

nayeon's parents ended up getting in trouble. a year of her mom being seperated from her daughter during her growing years and father doesn't seem so bad?

how's having you and your family brodcasted all over korea to the point where everyone knows who you are?

yes the police freed her because even they knew it wasn't nayeon's fault, but it comes to show how corrupt korea's system is.

nayeon worked hard to get rid of the name hoseok gave her and her family. they moved to seoul where little people could recognize them because of how many crimes happen there.

so that's that.

that's what brought a broken down hoseok in hysterics, years later because of the guilt and sadness. guilt of being alive and guilt of falsely convicting someone else.

so nayeon leaned down and whispered something. something hoseok has said multiple times to his family and close friends like jungkook or nayeon's adopted brother, taehyung.

something taehyung has gotten used to telling nayeon on the nights she would stay up crying.

she doesn't stay up all night crying anymore. taehyung told her he got it from hoseok for when he had to comfort him. nayeon felt betrayed.

so in a gentle voice, as she strokes his tuff of hair, she whispered sweetly.

"dandelion... falter but do not disappear. you can break, but you'll mend even stronger."

hoseok cried sorry, repeating it like a mantra until it got weaker. nayeon simply shushed him and pulled him closer for warmth, rocking back and forth.

he eventually fell asleep in the tender embrace of her arms.

firefighters found them an hour later. hoseok never woke up.

-
can't be muslim can't be gay can't be black can't be at a house of faith can't be white can't be at a club can't be jehovah witness can't be at school. welcome to the land of the free tho

(: so this originally was for a base but i felt it would have fit this better so!!!!