Prologue

What can you do when your life begins to change? What can you do when your everyday routine is shattered into a million pieces? What can you do when it seems that you have no options left and you are unable to fit back the small, fragile pieces of your life that are slipping through your fingers like water.

What can you do when these shattered pieces bear a new life, a good one at that? What can you do when it bears a new life? A worse life?

That moment that shatters everything can break you down and send you into a never ending hole where there is no chance of seeing the end or the beginning.

What can you do?

Nothing.

For me, everything changed in that moment. A moment in which my ears rang as the piercing screams of those around me rang loud and clear in the stuffy room. The terror was something I could never wish upon another being, it was a terror that brought chaos to my entire life.

It was a small shop, nothing more and nothing less and then there was...gunfire. I remember gunfire. Endless brain-wracking gunfire causing strenuous flashes of white light in my already blurred vision.

I held a bag, I never saw it again, I held it in one hand, my other hand reaching for something else entirely- another thing I never saw again. My parents. You could say I did see them again, dead that is, an image that it inescapable for any man.

Sometimes, in my dreams, I see them. Never alive, only dead, gaunt, a corpse. You can never escape a nightmare and since that moment I had been stuck in a loop. I had a routine and it shattered; it bore a new routine, one much worse than the one before.

I could only blame fate. I mean, I could blame that man who shot those bullets but you can't chase what you don't know. So why am I blaming fate? I guess I can blame fate because I know that fate is inescapable so I can deal with it. You don't let fate rule you but still, you have a place in which you can aim your anger at so no one will get hurt.

Life is complex. Why I do much of the things I do is just a question that I can't answer. I work on instinct, on what I think is right and that sometimes leads to terrible things but sometimes it can lead to good things as well.

I didn't step in front of that bullet out of fear and that was what my fate was. I wasn't hit by that bullet but I was punished as a consequence, I became an orphan- alone until my adult life.

But, as I said, fate is inescapable and it works in ways that no human can comprehend and all that, no matter the trauma it caused, led to one of the best things in my life. Of course, it wasn't easy falling in love but I did and I live to tell the tale, do I not?

Love, like fate, is inescapable so you go along with it despite what others tell you, despite others telling you that your blind.

That day led to meeting my guardian. Who, in turn, I fell in love with despite his age, despite his position in my life. From that day, I wasn't alone. I only believed I was alone.

This must all seem so complex, so incomprehensible. But, I'll start from the beginning. I want to tell you everything. I want to rid myself of the burden of keeping this to myself but I want people to see that even in the worst of situations, you can be happy. Fate takes time to do its work but you have to let it.

Live your life always believing it will get better. If you don't try to make your life better it won't but fate can change your mind. Fate is like a God that no one worships, you just have to let it do what it is supposed to do.

I don't believe in fate myself but something about the turn of events that happened to me seems all too predictable, or unpredictable. It's hard to tell whether your life is stereotypical or not, life is life and that's as much as we can comprehend.

But, forget fate, forget this, I'll start from the beginning and maybe, just maybe, I can tell you my story.

original word count: 195

edit 1 - 12.02.17 - new word count: 683

edit 2 - 14.02.17 - new word count: 779