9

Shai

It was hot as hell out here. I had no way of seeing what time it was. I've been walking for hours it felt like. I saw a McDonalds and decided to catch my breath inside the air conditioned building. I walked in and took a seat at the closest table I could find. I had sweat beaming down my face and my shirt was wet. I began to smell like the outside and hated it. I'm too much of a girly girl to stink let alone sweat. I got up and went to the bathroom. I grabbed a few paper towels and wet them wiping myself and applying deodorant afterwards.

Once I felt a little fresher I walked back out and asked one of the workers what time it was. He said it was 3:45. I asked him how far the Adams Street Homeless Shelter was. He rubbed his chin and said "Um it's about three miles from here. Why?" I was ashamed to be homeless at 18 with no money or a job so I came up with the best lie I could.

"Oh I'm meeting a friend there. I'm new in town and wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction."

He rubbed his chin again and smirked. I was a little taken back because this was not a smirking matter. "What's so funny?" I asked growing angry. He smirked again and said "The fact that you felt the need to lie. I've seen your picture all over the news. You ain't gotta lie Craig."

I buried my face into the palm of my hands and silently cried. My reputation was ruined. All I would be acknowledged for was the girl who beat her mom up. I grabbed my bag and rushed out the door. I looked back and saw the guy running out after me.

"Wait! Please wait!"

I stopped, but only to ask him what he wanted. He apologized for being so disrespectful and pleaded for me to come back inside. I gave him the side eye because he was a complete stranger. How did I know his intentions were good?

I followed him back inside and took a seat at the chair I was previously sitting in. "Would you like something to eat? Drink?" I looked at the menu and my stomach turned backflips. McDonald's upset my stomach so bad I almost passed up on his offer until I thought about when was the next time I would eat.

"Uh yea. A chicken sandwich will do."

He scrunched up his face. "That's it? Nothing to drink?" I asked for water and watched him go behind the counter and grab five sandwiches and a bottled water. When he came back he had the biggest smile on his face. I felt the pitty and wanted to get the hell out of there as quick as possible.

"Here you go" he said. I grabbed one sandwich and put it in my bag. I stood to leave but he stopped me. "I get off in fifteen minutes. Please wait. I'll drive you."

I wasn't too sure. I just met him ten minutes ago. "Thanks for the offer but I'll walk. I don't know you. You could be Michael Myer's fifth cousin or some shit."

He burst into laughter at my ridiculous logic. "I'm not crazy and I won't be alone. I'll have my girlfriend with me."

That put me at ease so I accepted. He smiled again and went back to sweeping the floor. The girls behind the counter smiled and whispered. I couldn't tell if they were talking shit or not so I went to ask.

"Got something to say?" They stopped talking and stared me in the eyes. That did something to me. One girl was short, thin waist but thick thighs. She was beautiful to be honest. The other girl, a stud, tall, brown skin with hazel eyes and long dreads. They both were easy on the eyes.

"Nah shorty you good. We were just saying how beautiful you are."

I thanked them and went back to my seat. The fem winked at me as I sat and waited for the guy to clock out.