『Always - Bokuto Koutarou』

Start from the beginning

Lonely, lonely little life
I could kid myself
In thinking that I'm fine

You and Bokuto have finally made it into high school. To both of your joy, the two of you were accepted into Fukurodani High. It was fun being in the same class, eating lunch together, and then him accompanying you on your walk home afterwards.

At least it was until he joined the volleyball club and it took up his time that he would normally be spending with you. You were supportive of him and all but when you had to walk yourself home every evening, it started to get lonely. Coming third year, he became the captain of the team, which meant more time spent away from you.

Coming to you after school one day, he tells you some good news that you thought you wouldn't hear for awhile.

"Hey hey hey, (Y/N)! I don't have practice today, so do you want to go out for dinner? To y'know," He rubs the back of his neck sheepishly. "To make up for all the time that I couldn't hang out with you after school?"

"Wait, really?" Your face lights up with a huge smile as you wrap your arms around his waist. "I would love to!"

Letting go, you look up at him to see the grin on his face.

It was always you
Falling for me
Now there's always time
Calling for me

Dinner was spent at the okonomiyaki restaurant that you and Bokuto have always gone to for years together. Propping his head up on his hands, he stares at you from across the table, his plate already cleared of his food.

A little unnerved, you feel your cheeks heat up and you focus your attention to the food in front of you. At times, it was hard to tell what Bokuto was thinking. This happened to be one of those times.

"(Y/N)."

The sudden silence between you two being broken startled you a bit. You look up at him. "Yes, Kou?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Well, y'see, there's this person I like and I want to officially tell them my feelings."

"O-Oh, is that so?" You gulp, hoping Bokuto doesn't notice the pink in you cheeks. It hasn't been too long since you realized your own feelings for your best friend. Though you had been in denial for so long, you figured it was time to finally come to terms with how you felt towards him. You're sure this person he's talking about is you. It's only obvious from how he acts. "Just tell them exactly how you feel then! And make sure it's straight from the heart and honest."

"Really? That's it?"

"Of course."

"Awesome, thanks for the advice (Y/N)! Then, I'm gonna do it tomorrow!"

"You got this, Kou!"

I'm the light blinking at the end of the road
Blink back to let me know

Bokuto's words have you wide awake at night. Hugging your pillow tightly, your head spins with the thought of Bokuto confessing to you, his face flushed,words stammered. You bury your face into your  pillow. For obvious reasons, this isn't good for your heart and you decide to try and sleep it off.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day as class is letting out, you get a text from Bokuto. All it says is "meet me by the gym later, we'll walk home together".

You blush at his words. This is it. You take a deep breath, gather your notebooks and pencil case, and put them in your bag. Hoisting it onto your shoulder, you exit the classroom and make your way to the gym.

Near the side of the gym, you recognize Bokuto by his spiked up two-toned hair even though you're looking at his back. From afar, you can hear him saying something, but you can't quite make it out. Coming closer, you hear him.

"I like you, a lot! Please be my girlfriend!"

You stop in your tracks and watch as he bows to this mystery person he's talking to. With his upper half of his body lowered, you can see now that he is talking to one of the volleyball team's managers, Shirofuku Yukie. You continue to watch as she nods yes as a response, and Bokuto becomes animated once again.

That I'm skin and bone
Just a king and a rusty throne
Oh, the castle's under siege
But the sign outside says, "Leave me alone."

The two hug, and Bokuto turns around. He spots you watching the scene play out. "Oh, (Y/N)-!" He begins, but you're already turning to leave.

"S-Sorry, I just remembered I have to do something." You lie quickly and take off out the Fukurodani gates, leaving a confused Bokuto behind.

Your phone is already buzzing inside your pocket. You check it, and it' s texts from Bokuto. You ignore them, turn off your phone, and put it back in your pocket.

It was always you
Falling for me
Now there's always time
Calling for me

'How did it turn out this way?'

As you sit at your desk, you contemplate the decisions you've made up until now.

Maybe you waited too long. You waited too long to return your best friend's feelings. But now that you had realized them, his had already drifted to someone else.

I'm the light blinking at the end of the road

Blink back to let me know

You let him slip through your fingers, and now his are entwined with someone else's.

Blink back to let me know

  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

song: always by panic! at the disco

aahhh so apparently it's been a year since i've started this oneshot book so happy trashiversary to me!!

thank you to everyone who's been with me for so long and continuously supporting me! it really means so much, thank you thank you thank you!!

and so to celebrate, here is a long awaited (but short) update spam i've been working really hard on. hope everyone enjoys it aaaaaaahhhhhhh

UP NEXT:

- Kozume Kenma x fem! reader

- Yamaguchi Tadashi x reader

- Oikawa Tooru x reader